Fixed Can't post on Firefox iOS

The Dark Wizard

Hey,

So after it being brought to me by several of my members, I realized that iOS Firefox stopped allowing me to post on xf sites.

Here's a screenshot of what the editor looks like from a random thread I picked here at xenforo.com

image.webp

All the editor buttons I can see while on safari are gone(currently using that broswer to report this) and no amount of tapping the box brings up the iOS keyboard.

I recognise this issue. It's the same in Dolphin. It's ultimately a browser issue - the load event doesn't fire on the iframe so the editor never initialises.

We will try and disable the editor if we can target its user agent and/or report the bug to Mozilla.

Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 9_2_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) FxiOS/3.0 Mobile/13D15 Safari/601.1.46

Looks like we'll be able to disable the editor for Firefox iOS at least (FxiOS/3.0 Mobile). We can't actually do that in Dolphin because there's nothing in the UA string to differentiate it from a normal iDevice.

I have disabled the RTE in XF 1.5.8 for Firefox on iOS.

We'll leave this report open, however. I have also opened a bug report with Mozilla so if they manage to fix this, we'll re-enable the editor. We'll post updates if we get them.

I have disabled the RTE in XF 1.5.8 for Firefox on iOS.

We'll leave this report open, however. I have also opened a bug report with Mozilla so if they manage to fix this, we'll re-enable the editor. We'll post updates if we get them.

Did you fix it on here, cause I still can not type anything in FF.

I'm posting this from Firefox on iOS.

I have to say, I know it's a few years behind Chrome and Safari but I'm not enjoying it for several reasons.

At least it doesn't reboot my phone on launch any more...

Firefox on iOS was updated to version 4.x today and it solves the problem.

We have adjusted the code in XF 1.5.8 to only disable the editor if the Firefox iOS version is < 4.

This change will be rolled out here in the near future; until then, the editor will remain disabled here for all Firefox iOS versions.

I recognise this issue. It's the same in Dolphin. It's ultimately a browser issue - the load event doesn't fire on the iframe so the editor never initialises.

We will try and disable the editor if we can target its user agent and/or report the bug to Mozilla.

Does this issue fixed in v1.5.8?

Yes.

If you are running a version of Firefox iOS below 4.0 then you will just get the non-rich text editor. If you're running iOS 4.0 or above then you should see the default editor.

Yes.

If you are running a version of Firefox iOS below 4.0 then you will just get the non-rich text editor. If you're running iOS 4.0 or above then you should see the default editor.

Still are not fixed for Dolphin, also not loaded non-rich text editor. cannot type.

Both the bug for Firefox and the bug for Dolphin were actually bugs in those browsers and nothing we can control directly.

The Dolphin issue was first reported to them in January and thus far they have rejected my requests to fix the issue. We also cannot properly disable our editor in Dolphin because their user agent string doesn't properly identify Dolphin as the browser.

This is a stark contrast to Firefox who had the issue fixed within a week of it being reported. They fixed the issue properly in Firefox iOS 4.0 and their user agent string properly identifies itself as "FiOS" so we were able to disable the editor completely for versions below 4.0.

My only recommendation with regards to Dolphin is to contact their support team: support@dolphin.com

Top Bottom