XF 1.2 Can't merge PAGE_CONTAINER as parent not found

RobParker

I've just upgraded to the latest version of the Core style and my PAGE_CONTAINER shows as being outdated.

When I try to merge it I get the following:

No previous version of the parent could be found. Merging is not possible.

Any ideas?

I've just upgraded to the latest version of the Core style and my PAGE_CONTAINER shows as being outdated.

When I try to merge it I get the following:

No previous version of the parent could be found. Merging is not possible.

Any ideas?
This sounds as though your upgrade didn't go as smoothly.

Try rebuilding the master cache once more

/install/

It will be an option.

Further, I do not recommend directly editing the master style (which can only be accessed in debug mode).

Hmm this was a style upgrade, not an XF upgrade...
I'm aware of this. You said "core style" which some people refer as the main style.... But I just learned that there is a style called, core (go figure).

However the case, you may still want to rebuild your cache. All styles, even custom styles, use the default style as a point of reference.

The fact that it could not find PAGE_CONTAINER suggest there is something not right. Although you could also try to re-apply CORE. And with that said, custom style support should be sought from the developer.

I'm aware of this. You said "core style" which some people refer as the main style.... But I just learned that there is a style called, core (go figure).

However the case, you may still want to rebuild your cache. All styles, even custom styles, use the default style as a point of reference.

The fact that it couldn't find PAGE_CONTAINER suggest there is something not right. Although you could also try to re-apply CORE. And with that said, custom style support should be sought from the developer.

Ah I see your confusion. I capitalised it and thought that made it clear, sorry.

Also it can find PAGE_CONTAINER as it exists, but it can't find an old/parent version for some reason yet still thinks it's outdated.

I've also posted on Russ's site but I think this is more of a generic question about how the merge system works rather than something specific to the style, hence my post on here :-)

I usually don't use the merge tool (it's not my cup of tea).... But I do fairly understand that it still uses the master style as a point of reference. That is why the error you're claiming to have still makes me think you may want to rebuild your cache (no harm comes from doing it any ways).

@Mike maybe better at addressing how that tool works & why you're getting such an error.

Can you attach screenshots of your style structure (noting which one you updated) and the outdated templates page (noting which one triggered this)?

I did a manual merge which seems to have fixed this and it's now gone from my outdated template page.

The style structure was

Framework -> style -> child style and the issue was with the child (3rd level deep)
Edit: both "framework" and "style" were updated, in that order.

Last edited:
The history should be maintained, though I'll see if I can figure out how to reproduce this.

However, unfortunately without the screenshot from the outdated template page, it's hard to know if my theory was correct. With the unmergable template, did it show times or versions? (If it showed times, was the parent indeed newer than the child?)

The history should be maintained, though I'll see if I can figure out how to reproduce this.

However, unfortunately without the screenshot from the outdated template page, it's hard to know if my theory was correct. With the unmergable template, did it show times or versions? (If it showed times, was the parent indeed newer than the child?)
@Mike... I use xenFoogle Pro. I have a child style based off of it (called Just Say Apple). When an update comes out for the xenBase and xenFoogle Pro for that style I upgrade those parents (flow is xenBase -> xenFoogle Pro -> Just Say Apple). After performing the update I ALWAYS have outdated templates in the JSA one and when attempting to merge it tells me that it can't. Looking at the date the xenFoogle Pro and xenBase are newer than the JSA one. I end up having to copy my template for JSA (because there are some mods in some of them) and then revert the JSA and then re-apply the template mods.
Same error is given - "No previous version of the parent could be found. Merging is not possible."

Last edited:
Top Bottom