As designed Can't Attach Own Images from Another DiscussionMessage

vbresults

I can't attach my own images from another DiscussionMessage [i.e. Post, Profile Post] by copying the BBCode. Instead, I just see the alt-text with a link to the attachment. If I directly link, it works.

p.s. This may also extend to conversations.

Last edited:

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
This is how the system is designed.

Posts are fetched from the database along with, taking into account various permissions, the attachment record/data which are attached to those posts. If you try to use an attachment from another item of content, we won't have fetched the record/data for that attachment, we won't have checked permissions for that attachment, hence a simple link is shown instead.

It will absolutely apply to conversations, too. Attachments in conversations can only be viewed by the participants of the conversation.

vbresults

This is how the system is designed.

Posts are fetched from the database along with, taking into account various permissions, the attachment record/data which are attached to those posts. If you try to use an attachment from another item of content, we won't have fetched the record/data for that attachment, we won't have checked permissions for that attachment, hence a simple link is shown instead.

It will absolutely apply to conversations, too. Attachments in conversations can only be viewed by the participants of the conversation.
What about just auto-converting it to an image tag then?

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
That will lead to broken image placeholders for users that can't view the attachment. We don't recommend trying to embed attachments via IMG tags.