Can WordPress and Xenforo share a database?

NetDoc

I own a rather large website (ScubaBoard.com) that we are converting to xenforo over the next month or so. We have about 250,000 registered users. I have others doing this, but I don't like not knowing how/what is going on. :D We will be using WP as the CMS front end with Xenforo as the forum (well, duh). I hate having multiple DBs here. I don't want to have people signing in to WP only to have to sign in on Xenforo. I want to enable discussions about the content in Xenforo, and I want it to be seamless. Completely seamless.

Is this possible? Am I right to think it's even desirable?

I have never seen a WordPress installation that wasn't so overrun by comment spam that it made it worth it to even allow comments in WordPress. We've turned comments off completely and just direct people to the forum to comment on content that originated there.

I must be doing something wrong (despite deploying Akismet and other anti-spam measures) because I do see other WordPress installations with lots of comments. Given my experience, though, I just assume that there is some very active admin who regularly combs through the WordPress comments and prunes all the spam and lets through the legit comments. (That's way too much work, however.) I also see a lot of WordPress installations with comments that are clearly just clever spam. In short, the effort-reward equation with WordPress stinks, IMO, when it comes to housing "discussions."

Someone tell me I'm wrong--or tell me where I'm going wrong with WordPress. I've looked at the WordPress "bridge" products available that let WordPress and Xen share a database. In the end, though, I deem it to be more trouble to implement than it's worth.

I use WordPress as a CMS only; the Register link on our WP page takes users to the Xen registration screen. That's a solution that works for us. Oh, and even if you do get the two systems to share a database, the commenting interfaces of the two products are quite different.

Last edited:
I have never seen a WordPress installation that wasn't so overrun by comment spam that it made it worth it to even allow comments in WordPress. We've turned comments off completely and just direct people to the forum to comment on content that originated there.

I must be doing something wrong (despite deploying Akismet and other anti-spam measures) because I do see other WordPress installations with lots of comments. Given my experience, though, I just assume that there is some very active admin who regularly combs through the WordPress comments and prunes all the spam and lets through the legit comments. (That's way too much work, however.) I also see a lot of WordPress installations with comments that are clearly just clever spam. In short, the effort-reward equation with WordPress stinks, IMO, when it comes to housing "discussions."

Someone tell me I'm wrong--or tell me where I'm going wrong with WordPress. I've looked at the WordPress "bridge" products available that let WordPress and Xen share a database. In the end, though, I deem it to be more trouble to implement than it's worth.

I use WordPress as a CMS only; the Register link on our WP page takes users to the Xen registration screen. That's a solution that works for us. Oh, and even if you do get the two systems to share a database, the commenting interfaces of the two products are quite different.
I had this problem before askimet, now nearly nothing...

I use WordPress as a CMS only; the Register link on our WP page takes users to the Xen registration screen. That's a solution that works for us.

How did you do the 'Front Page' links in your forum's sidebar? Are they automatically updated or is it something you have to do manually after you've added a new article to WordPress?

How did you do the 'Front Page' links in your forum's sidebar? Are they automatically updated or is it something you have to do manually after you've added a new article to WordPress?

Widget framework.

Renderer: Feed Reader (http://poetrycircle.com/feed/)

Display mode: Title only

Catch TTL: 600

Position: forum_list

That's it! I would never set up a sidebar element that has to be manually updated.

IMO, widget framework should become a part of Xenforo core. The various sidebars that Xen has set up are nice, but they're just a few. Something like widget framework provides really important custom block capabilities.

XenWord[/QUOTE]
I have been under the impression that this addon is for when you're using Xenforo as the front end and WP on the backend, didn't know you could use it the other way around as you have it set up.

Top Bottom