can twitter generate web traffic to your site?

I have friends with hundreds of followers who get alot of traffic from Twitter. I have under 100 so dont get much at all.
We should create a XenForo Twitter thread lol

All the spam bots that are following me "click" every link I post :) I'm sure if I had some more real followers some of them would do some clicking as well

A lot of people tell me that they already read the content I just linked them to manually, because they followed my tweet link. So it's more effective than manually pointing out good content to my friends. So I'd say yes.

I would say 100%... I also believe it can help speed up indexing of some pages, each time I post a link on twitter within seconds I will have 25-30 bots from Amazon/Google/Bing and some plain old scrappers on there... But also see a traffic spike from regular users also...

This effect does wear off though if all of your posts are links (unless you are someone like techcrunch)

I have friends with hundreds of followers who get alot of traffic from Twitter. I have under 100 so dont get much at all.
We should create a XenForo Twitter thread lol

I have 198 on one account (personal)
I have 80 on the site account
I have about 120 on another account
Fiance also has about 80 on her account

What ever I tweet from one I re-tweet on the others (as long as it has context)

It depends on the type of audience your site attracts. Some do better with Facebook, some do better with Twitter. There is a study out there about different site has more twitter or facebook.

Our Twitter has 250 followers after a year.
Our facebook page has 400 people after 2 months and facebook is now #1 referral traffic source for us.

Go figure.

It depends on the type of audience your site attracts. Some do better with Facebook, some do better with Twitter. There is a study out there about different site has more twitter or facebook.

Our Twitter has 250 followers after a year.
Our facebook page has 400 people after 2 months and facebook is now #1 referral traffic source for us.

Go figure.

yes, FB right now is the 1st, but i really think that twitter has great potential, and needs to be developed better ... :)

Absolutely it generates traffic, but its not from running a twitter account yourself and posting actively to it, but instead a forums best Twitter traffic will come from using an automated mod that posts new threads direct to the twitter feed. Search engines thrive on new content, and Twitter is right on the top of the list. SE's will quickly find your twitter account that is receiving newly posted content, you get a link and twitter traffic from those who do use twitter actively searching out relevant topics.

Forum size obviously reflects the traffic obtained, ie. a forum posting 10 new threads a day is going to see far more minute increases than a forum who uses twitter this way that has 100 or 1000 new threads posted daily.

The FB one to post automatically up to say a site FB account is just as good, as you setup the FB account to automatically accept friendship requests, have your site auto post new thread topics to it, then those FB fanatics will interact with it if they find it topical / interesting, even just to spam...

While it can generate a ton of traffic, it won't necessarily translate to new registrations. Our site traffic has gone up a lot since I installed an automatic poster that takes originating posts and tosses them out on Twitter. However, it hasn't translated to many new registrations. Which is fine. The few that we do get are individuals who are interested in participating in the spirit that the site was designed for.

While it can generate a ton of traffic, it won't necessarily translate to new registrations. Our site traffic has gone up a lot since I installed an automatic poster that takes originating posts and tosses them out on Twitter. However, it hasn't translated to many new registrations. Which is fine. The few that we do get are individuals who are interested in participating in the spirit that the site was designed for.

A simpler and inviting membership signup process is needed imho :)

I've implemented the Twitter and Facebook sign in features, so it's not that difficult for those that have a desire to participate. Our site is unique where although we discuss politics, religion, and other hot button topics, it's done in a civil manner and trolls are quickly dealt with. Flaming is not condoned (with one exception), and many find they don't have the debating skills to be a regular member. The membership is ruthless on those that pipe up in a thread without having thought their premise through. **snicker**

I noticed an increase in organic traffic from Twitter on two of my sites; One of the sites was for a game server, where we would announce contests and events, as well as updates to the site and server. The other was to post new releases and many of the users subscribed to the twitter to keep up to date that way.

again, twitter has an incredible potential to increase the traffic onto our sites ... but at the moment, isn't well-knew, especially in Italy ... unfortunately italians use facebook primarily ...

Top Bottom