Was building your Facebook fan page for years to get traffic to your forum?

This Man's $600,000 Facebook Disaster Is A Warning For All Small Businesses

To be fair to facebook, they did not rip him off. They didn't promise him any clicks. They may have a funky reporting system, but google analytics was lately showing be DOUBLE the actual pages read on my site - and they admitted a defect! It's still not corrected.

Also, as mentioned in the article, the man was playing "hedge fund" with Facebook. In other words, he was advertising with them hoping that their advertising would send people to HIS site where they would click on google ads worth MORE.

That's gambling - and he lost. Would he be complaining if he made money? Of course not.

Perhaps in the future he should stick to publishing instead of trying to mess around in the ad market?

We too have 10K+ members on our Facebook Fan page (with zero promotions/ ad-spend) and it's quite evident that people aren't keen on visiting official websites from FB pages. We aren't serious about social media anymore.

I'm one of those who sees more competition for forums from the likes of yahoo answers than facebook, although contrary to some who claim that facebook users and forum users are two separate animals, I don't think facebook has been at all good for the "traditional" forum world. What's more, harkening back to what I said re yahoo answers, I think it's simply the proliferation of places where one can go these days to "converse" with others online that has caused dilution that cannot be seen as a positive at all for conventional forums. Heck, these days there are "discussion boards" on everything from newspapers to amazon.com. And then I'm not even tapping the effect that the mobile world has had on forums. It's mind-boggling--and all of this just makes the hurdles one has to jump when starting a forum even more daunting than they were before.

Heck, someone should start a forum called myforumdied.com, where all of the failed forum owners could discuss what went wrong with the world. (Or they could all just discuss that here.) ;)

Top Bottom