1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a user select their default user group?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by RastaLulz, Aug 17, 2011.

1. RastaLulz

RastaLulz Well-Known Member

Today I made the switch from vB4 to XenForo, but one issue I'm having is that users with multiple user groups can not pick the user group that they want as their default user group, which is kind of an annoyance. For example, if one of my members has purchased a red and blue user upgrade, by default it will only show the blue user group (and blue name), and he/she doesn't have the option to make the red user group (and red name) his/her default user group.
  2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

No. XenForo doesn't let the user choose their "display group" like vB does. Instead XenForo lets you set a display priority for each group. The highest priority group is what is used:

Admin CP -> Users -> List User Groups -> [click a group] -> Display Styling Priority
  3. Panupat

Panupat Well-Known Member

That is one thing Xenforo still missing.
    RastaLulz likes this.
  4. RastaLulz

RastaLulz Well-Known Member

Well, that's a shame. Hopefully this eventually gets added in, because I don't like the idea of my users being stuck with a user group they might not want over another they have.
  5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The permissions system has been designed in such a way that all users should be in the Registered user group.

The user groups aren't exposed in the front end at all (apart from styling priority), so it matters not which groups users are members of.
  6. Panupat

Panupat Well-Known Member

In other software, I think the main purposes of switching groups is to change the css styling for their names. I guess if we want this to work in Xenforo, we probably need some styling system members can choose that is not tied to user groups.

So that's my wish list I suppose. Back when I use phpBB, changing their colors was one of the thing my members enjoyed the most. There were users managed groups where everyone can apply to join and choose at their own will.
    RastaLulz and James like this.