California Case Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I REALLY want to buy the license for Xenforo for my new forum, currently hosted at Ning: http://www.ArousedWomanForum.ning.com, but I'm afraid to sink money into XenForo before the trial is settled. I can't afford to lose money. Anyone have advice on what will happen to the X forums if vB wins?

Thanks!
trish
ArousedWomanBlog.com
There are various threads with the same concerns in the pre-sales section.
Probably best to take a look or start a thread there.
This thread generally gets locked.

...but I'm afraid to sink money into XenForo before the trial is settled. I can't afford to lose money. Anyone have advice on what will happen to the X forums if vB wins?

Your concern is very common among prospective buyers.

Over the course of this lawsuit IB has requested that they be given ownership of XenForo, and they have claimed up to $12 million in damages. So there is a worst case for you. If that concerns you it is because IB wants you to be concerned:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/363883-Internet-Brands-claims-against-Xenforo

We trust that software purchasers understand the risks of infringement of copyright law and act accordingly. We have requested that Kier, Mike and Ashley refrain from selling the software while the issues, inclusive of our infringement claims, are heard in the courts. We intend to pursue our rights broadly and vigorously.
We consider Kier and Mike to be talented developers, but ones who potentially fail to grasp the implications of their actions.

They are talking directly to you, the prospective buyer.

I think almost everyone who follows this case expects XenForo to win (including some resident lawyers). But you are within your rights to be concerned. Let me know if you have any more questions about the lawsuit, and stay tuned to this thread:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/status-of-lawsuit.39082/

What is a Summary judgement?

In essence it is a very immediate form of a trial where the cards get laid out on the table (I believe it is without Jury also).

It will be something like for each claim:
XenForo states IB has no evidence. Requests judge to dismiss the claim for no evidence.
vBulletin has to show the evidence, or good cause, why the claim should not be dismissed.

Anything which isn't dismissed / judged at this point then moves forward to the actual trial.

However.

Given the judges track record, it is likely that he will allow almost all the claims to go forward to trial unless there is something spectacular.

Whilst we can all hope for the best, it is probably wise to consider the Jan 7th date nothing more than pre-trial wrangling.

Nice one Slavil, thank you Shamil, EDF.
So far XF has not lost any of the rounds, though there have been a few temp setbacks like this Mike SAC thing that had to go through a procedure.

Slavik I agree that a settlement offer would have to be big to be worth it. Drop it all, incl. any appeals(though I think they are unlikely anyway the way this has been done so thoroughly); all costs paid.
Hard to see if IB might go for that. It would save them a bit of money as the judge will undoubtedly make them pay costs anyway. Court costs and more XF costs though wouldn't dent their purse.
Is it worth it to them to avoid a court lose? Not really because a settlement like this would say the same thing so their reputation would suffer as much.

What might trip the balance is the law team for IB will get more pay if it goes on a bit longer without settlement. For most lawyers that's the bottom line. So that argues a court case.
However perhaps a settlement which can be quietly buried or even twisted to look a bit better than it is, might be better for their law team on their record, than a lost case? If not the continued fees will be the decider.

I... I'm afraid to sink money into XenForo before the trial is settled. I can't afford to lose money. Anyone have advice on what will happen to the X forums if vB wins?

There are very strong indications that XF will not lose e.g. the expert appointed by IB to make statement that XF copied Vbulletin code, actually said the opposite! that no copying took place. IB have recently after two years foot dragging altered their ground to saying that XF copied the old VB4 structures, but not the actual code.
This has caused some humour as the structures of forums, threads, private conversations, alerts etc were all in use by other companies and projects too so by their own accusation IB themselves are guilty of copying!
However although to anyone who understands this type of software, it is clear IB are just using hot air and jargon to puff up a case to bully XF, and drain their finances so they collapse, there are unlikely but not impossible things could go wrong. One is that the Judge or the Jury will not be as knowledgeable as we are on software. They may mess up. (I guess that could mean an appeal.)
Another is that the idea that you can trust any legal system to deliver justice is naive. Anyone who has had owt to do with court cases will know that a lot depends on obscure technicalities and what a judge had for breakfast. In other words the most obvious case can go poisonous unexpectedly. Though that is a minority thing it does happen.

On that basis if you really can't feel calm about risking $140, don't. It's not long to wait to get things clear.
If you do buy you have the use of the specific XF you buy (XF 1.1 this XF here) as long as you like. I used a vb3.8 one one of my sites for 5 years without needing to upgrade so "moving upward" is not always necessary. (thankfully got the addon I needed to switch this to XF a couple of months ago though)
There are also secondary plans on how to keep XF going if it all goes wrong last minute in February. But for obvious reasons this is not information put up on a big hoarding as it were. It's well buried in a mountain of posts.

Again if uncertain, sit tight till February. You and around a few 1,000 others far as I can see!

I REALLY want to buy the license for Xenforo for my new forum, currently hosted at Ning: http://www.ArousedWomanForum.ning.com, but I'm afraid to sink money into XenForo before the trial is settled. I can't afford to lose money. Anyone have advice on what will happen to the X forums if vB wins?

Thanks!
trish
ArousedWomanBlog.com
You should be afraid. Do not pay too much attention to the cheerleaders here. Follow your instincts, because there is no guarantee that Xenforo will win this case. That being said, I purchased another license recently.

Just throwing this out there for opinions because my knowledge of appeals is limited.

If XF wins in the next few months, we're going to see active development again (wohoo!). But, if IB appeals the case, my understanding is that an appeal would not look at new evidence but rather evaluate if the lower court decision was done properly. Because of that, if IB were to lose and appeal, is it likely XF development would be stalled again, or rather because XF has been proven innocent in a court of law, they'll be able to continue development without much legal trouble?

Just throwing this out there for opinions because my knowledge of appeals is limited.

If XF wins in the next few months, we're going to see active development again (wohoo!). But, if IB appeals the case, my understanding is that an appeal would not look at new evidence but rather evaluate if the lower court decision was done properly. Because of that, if IB were to lose and appeal, is it likely XF development would be stalled again, or rather because XF has been proven innocent in a court of law, they'll be able to continue development without much legal trouble?

http://www.uscourts.gov/FederalCour...alCourts/HowCourtsWork/TheAppealsProcess.aspx

A litigant who files an appeal, known as an "appellant," must show that the trial court or administrative agency made a legal error that affected the decision in the case. The court of appeals makes its decision based on the record of the case established by the trial court or agency. It does not receive additional evidence or hear witnesses. The court of appeals also may review the factual findings of the trial court or agency, but typically may only overturn a decision on factual grounds if the findings were "clearly erroneous."

Appeals are decided by panels of three judges working together. The appellant presents legal arguments to the panel, in writing, in a document called a "brief." In the brief, the appellant tries to persuade the judges that the trial court made an error, and that its decision should be reversed. On the other hand, the party defending against the appeal, known as the "appellee," tries in its brief to show why the trial court decision was correct, or why any error made by the trial court was not significant enough to affect the outcome of the case.

Although some cases are decided on the basis of written briefs alone, many cases are selected for an "oral argument" before the court. Oral argument in the court of appeals is a structured discussion between the appellate lawyers and the panel of judges focusing on the legal principles in dispute. Each side is given a short time — usually about 15 minutes — to present arguments to the court.

The court of appeals decision usually will be the final word in the case, unless it sends the case back to the trial court for additional proceedings, or the parties ask the U.S. Supreme Court to review the case. In some cases the decision may be reviewed en banc, that is, by a larger group of judges (usually all) of the court of appeals for the circuit.

Reading that it would seem that IB's chance for a successful appeal would be somewhat slim.

Doesn't stop them going through the motions anyway in a deliberate tactic to cause further financial and emotional strain on KAM.

I agree that a settlement offer would have to be big to be worth it. Drop it all, incl. any appeals(though I think they are unlikely anyway the way this has been done so thoroughly); all costs paid.
You would think that a settlement is "worth it." Truth is, it's not. Usually, a settlement includes stipulations.

For example, if you got hurt at a club, and the lawsuit went in and out quietly, they ask you to keep hush-hush on the lawsuit.
Some others, like companies stipulate you to part ways with the company [with pay], or work for them.

A settlement can include an acquisition offer of a company like xenForo, it can include killing off the project entirely, and work for them, it can include just about anything. And the worst part is, the defender/plaintiff [both] has to agree to this agreement. So, if you find out that xenForo was acquired by IB, don't get mad at them. Because KAM agreed to that settlement.

I think I remember Kier or someone on the xenForo team asked "what would it take for a settlement." I didn't like the sound of that, because it just sounds like they're trying to take the easy way out. Then again, it's actually a test to see just how "gracious" IB is.
Is it worth it to them to avoid a court lose? Not really because a settlement like this would say the same thing so their reputation would suffer as much.
They can't avoid court loss, the risk is there already. A settlement won't work, not with Internet Brands, seeing how evil they are.
What might trip the balance is the law team for IB will get more pay if it goes on a bit longer without settlement. For most lawyers that's the bottom line. So that argues a court case.
The best lawyers are the ones that don't want a settlement, it's those that fight a lawsuit to the end. It tells the world that the lawyer is really good. For me, Pamela is the Alicia Florrick of this lawsuit. Micheal is the Will Gardner of this lawsuit. IB has a bunch of Louis Cannings in their corner. Check The Good Wife's Wiki to read what stature they have. It's better that you watch the show to see exactly how good they are. ;)
However perhaps a settlement which can be quietly buried or even twisted to look a bit better than it is, might be better for their law team on their record, than a lost case? If not the continued fees will be the decider.
Knowing Internet Brands, that'll be the case.

So, from what i understand, this is like a Neverending Story?
Or will this all stop in February? Sorry if i am wrong but i dont understand all of that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom