California Case Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
42-2 Exhibit J is a joke.

Feature - vBulletin - XenForo
Hook System - Yes - Stolen
Theme System - Yes - Stolen
[etc]

Are they seriously claiming every single feature on that list is completely innovative and never used before by any platform except vBulletin?

For everyone else's pleasure:
View attachment 16018
You'll also notice versioning is copyrighted by VBSI too, game's over guys.
I was chuckling a bit when I saw the list, but when I got to the last one I just starting laughing at the absurdity of it. Even now it's ridiculously hilarious. :ROFLMAO:

I don't see how VBS can see that list James posted as evidence even if XF did copy or steal features that were originally invented by the VBS team. If VBS hasn't patented those features it really doesn't matter AFAICT.

In other news, vBulletin sues every site on the internet for infringing on their amazing 'content management' feature.

:rolleyes:.

Well, it IS the "most powerful community software", so anything else, is clearly a stolen/copied version of it and all should be sued! :P

They already tried that before ;)

Interesting, I didn't know that
Did a bit of digging and found this post by Scott MacVicar

We've exchanged lawyers letters with MyBB in regards to earlier versions which contained vBulletin code, they cleaned up the code and removed the bits we objected to.

Though I'll say the code is somewhat inspired by vBulletin code, anyone who knows the vBulletin code base can see that.

Interesting how they approached things in different ways back then.

Jelsoft days: Someone steals actual code, Jelsoft asks via their lawyers for code to be removed, all is well

IB days: Someone doesn't steal code, IB sue for the hell of it, they refuse to put "witnesses" on the stand and claim everything but the kitchen sink was "copied" or "stolen"

42-2 Exhibit J is a joke.

Indeed.

I corrected the Court Document to reflect reality, as everyone and their dog but IB sees it.

IB.lawsuit.Forum.features.2011.the.real.court.documents.webp

Apparently IB missed this little dittie.
It is likely why there was some early flak about the non-compete agreement instead and the issues about when exactly "xenforo.com" was registered & by whom. From what is available so far to the public IB's approach is the shot-gun approach... shoot a bunch of scatter to see what hits.

I watched this movie couple of months ago called "Howl", inspired by a true story in which a famous poem was brought to trial. I don't know if anyone matches the level of obscenity of this case, but it reminded me of it. The movie was not good, kind of boring but every time this thread bumps up I think of it :)

Actually a lot of the vB list is copied from IPB too...

Personal Conversations - IPB had it first
IPB had a Hook System before vB

God the rest of it is funny.....

Permissions LOL ahahahaha

Content... heheheehe

Theme System...

Versioning?!?!?!?! LOL

OMG too too funny - or rather it would be if it wasn't costing KAM a fortune to defend against this utter utter shyte.

I was chuckling a bit when I saw the list, but when I got to the last one I just starting laughing at the absurdity of it. Even now it's ridiculously hilarious. :ROFLMAO:
You wasn't aware that if XF has the same amount of lines of code as vB then they are seriously going to lose the case?! I think we need to reduce it, quick! No more curly braces on new lines, no more tabtabtab:
Code:
class Not_Stolen_From_vBulletin extends XenForo_In_General{ public function doSomething(){ } }

That should save us 5 lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom