California Case Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conversely....I am behind a proxy....and I've got no problems. Seems the anti-proxy thing is a fail :ROFLMAO:
CSS won't load for me on that website.

The reason the CSS won't load is because the CSS is calling a php file... which also does the check and returns the error page (html) and not the css... and is goes on and on. Now, to the developer of that modification... did you test it enough?

Two good and dedicated developers are better than 10 mediocore developers who just do their job becaurse they have to. Also in large companies the decision chain if often long and slow, and the ones in charge of it all, often dont have a clue about the product or what the custtomores really need and want - they are simply out of touch with reality.

Here the owners are also the developers and the once in charge, and they are also in direct contact with its customors and use their own product.

But if they can find the right person and it will result in faster development while maintaining the same quality im all for it
Agreed. My company does custom websites and each project gets 2 developers: one front end, one backend. We work extremely fast and efficient rather than having 3-4 developers on a project who have to constantly discuss what needs done / sloppily make stuff work together.

Now that the law suit is over, I hope this allows some old faces from the Jelsoft team to officially come on board of the XenForo team.

XF probably needs a larger team if it wants to compete with full featured software like IPS, vb, PHPFox, etc. and if it wants to stay modern after its 2010 release.
In my opinion all what a successful commercial forum software needs are:

- 2 developers
- one themer
- one business guy

You have forgotten three to four moderators
No, I left those out on purpose as moderators aren't involved in the creation of a forum software (see vB germany, they have good moderators but the software still sucks). However, of course they are vital to maintain a community.

No, I left those out on purpose as moderators aren't involved in the creation of a forum software (see vB germany, they have good moderators but the software still sucks). However, of course they are vital to maintain a community.

Hmm...I think that is supposed to be a compliment....isn't it?o_O

It is a fact, with good moderators you will have a much better community atmosphere and for a forum software like XF (or any other for that matter) that will lend overall to the product's and/ or service's attractiveness and thus lead to more sales. So, to me, good mods are a valuable part of support and marketing and thus are important for the business. So, they do count!:)

Also, the fact IB's management doesn't listen properly to their Support staff (the moderators and we at vB-G included) is a problem with IB's management and why the software actually sucks. It is not because moderators have no part in the creation of the software. And to be honest, I bet the Support guys and gals at vB.com could have put together a much better software on their own, despite maybe not being the best programmers, simply because they do actually care about the customers.

Scott

Hmm...I think that is supposed to be a compliment....isn't it?o_O

It is a fact, with good moderators you will have a much better community atmosphere and for a forum software like XF (or any other for that matter) that will lend overall to the product's and/ or service's attractiveness and thus lead to more sales. So, to me, good mods are a valuable part of support and marketing and thus are important for the business. So, they do count!:)

Also, the fact IB's management doesn't listen properly to their Support staff (the moderators and we at vB-G included) is a problem with IB's management and why the software actually sucks. It is not because moderators have no part in the creation of the software. And to be honest, I bet the Support guys and gals at vB.com could have put together a much better software on their own, despite maybe not being the best programmers, simply because they do actually care about the customers.

Scott
I was using the wrong word. Instead of "successful" I should have said "quality". Of course moderators are vital to the success of a forum software, but not to the quality. Case in point, vB could hire dozen of awesome support staff members that are loved among the community, but that wouldn't change the fact that vB5 is an overpriced pile of low quality alpha software.

Two good and dedicated developers are better than 10 mediocore developers who just do their job becaurse they have to. Also in large companies the decision chain if often long and slow, and the ones in charge of it all, often dont have a clue about the product or what the custtomores really need and want - they are simply out of touch with reality.

Here the owners are also the developers and the once in charge, and they are also in direct contact with its customors and use their own product.
But if they can find the right person and it will result in faster development while maintaining the same quality im all for it

Remarkably good analysis. I think though that with the current team of 3-4 mods to keep the frontend support off their backs, the magical partnership of Kier and Mike is unbeatable. plus Ashley on the business end.

A huge amount of efficiency and productivity comes out of knowing each other well, and knowing when to back off, when to push, when to remind or not, when to double track on the tricky bits. Who has best skill in which areas.
Working that out with someone new would eat up energy and time.

What KAM and the mods have benn through the last two years has pushed them into stress test. No doubt there were some quarrels which would be strange if there were not given the heavy strain. That they have come through still working together means they now know each other's weaker points and can deal with them. That is extremely valuable strength in a team.

Hmm...sorry....totally off-topic.....

Maybe it is time to simply lay this historical thread to rest?:)

Scott
LOL...

I do totally agree..this thread has served it's purpose and then some and with Xenforo winning and the case being closed, there really is no practical purpose for the thread because there will be no more status updates to the case.

It's left open so that people that doesn't visit often have somewhere to say congrats or share their opinion to cut down on the amount of new thread saying congrats IMHO

It's left open so that people that doesn't visit often have somewhere to say congrats or share their opinion to cut down on the amount of new thread saying congrats IMHO
Irrelevant. There is many other 'thanks' and 'now that the lawsuit is over' threads already started which one may participate in...as well as other threads which stem as direct results of the outcome of the case...

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/thanks-kam-for-the-free-license-extension.45294
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-on-sale-at-110-get-it-nowwwwww.45315
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-movie.45271
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/its-so-nice.45312

I suppose it is time to unsubscribe from this thread. Allowing it to become scattered by the wind.

Good night sweet prince, you shan't be missed.

Reactions: Kim
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom