Calendar?

DoctorWatsOn

Is it me being stupid and missing something, or is there no calendar?
hmm.gif

I have always wanted to use the vB calendar a lot, and gave it various tries. But unfortn. it never caught on, nor was it how I wanted it.
I have given up on using calendars. I don't miss it.

We want to do a calendar, but we want to do it well.

Version 1 will not have a calendar, but we have some great ideas that we want to implement in a future version.

When the calendar does get released, will it be part of the forum or considered an add on and something that will require an additional purchase to use?

If you want make it well:

1. Member Calendar (Every Member get his own Calender were he can add his own private calendar)
2. Ex/Import from Google Calendar
3. Events
  • Create automatic a Thread when a Calendarentry is added
  • "Attenders": User can be attenders.
    User should be able to invite other user
4. RSS Feeds

Honestly, I've never once used a calendar in any of the various forums that I've visited. Nevertheless, it wouldn't be a bad add-on.

The calendar is more useful for sites that have some form of release-date for projects, or when they have constant events (Either forums, or social meetings of members).

I've stated a few times, but Calendars are probably the single most understated feature on every forum I've ever had, and is missing a plethora of features, especially the ability to search.

I've stated a few times, but Calendars are probably the single most understated feature on every forum I've ever had, and is missing a plethora of features, especially the ability to search.

I use a Calendar Search mod for the various calendars on my site, which frankly seems to work better than the main vB search, but it makes the site very disjointed having separate search functions. :(

I for one would love to see calendar functionality with integrated advertising management. These built in adverts can then be linked out to pages.

i.e. if you run a music forum, you could set up a calendar for upcoming events and then sell banner adverts for the gigs. This would link out to a sponsor page on your site with more information.

Of course this would require some sort of hook to the home / forum home for a side bar widget to encourage people to use it...

We want to do a calendar, but we want to do it well.

Version 1 will not have a calendar, but we have some great ideas that we want to implement in a future version.

Kier, Im no fanboy, but Im really excited at where you're going with xenforo. Im definitely not renewing my vB license and jumping on board the xen train when its ready. Woot Woot!

lol

If an admin doesn't want to use the calendar, then it can be turned off. Nothing lost in that case.

I'd love a well thought out calendar, with staff vacation planning, events functionality and good forum integration.

The reason the vbulletin addon isn't used much is not because calendars are a fail, but because vbulletins calendar is.

If an admin doesn't want to use the calendar, then it can be turned off. Nothing lost in that case.

I'd love a well thought out calendar, with staff vacation planning, events functionality and good forum integration.

The reason the vbulletin addon isn't used much is not because calendars are a fail, but because vbulletins calendar is.

That is the problem with a lot of vBulletin non-forum-specific features. They were too well hidden and thus, not used.

Indeed, and that could account for why they were not further developed the way they should have been.

My issue with vBulletins features (Calendar, Gallery and a few others) were that they weren't developed enough. Gallery was very basic, and it seemed almost pointless to use it as there just wasn't enough incentive to try.

Calendar just lacked to much; lack of search, and lack of feature-richness made for a subpar system that was really only useful for basic event display.

My issue with vBulletins features (Calendar, Gallery and a few others) were that they weren't developed enough. Gallery was very basic, and it seemed almost pointless to use it as there just wasn't enough incentive to try.

Calendar just lacked to much; lack of search, and lack of feature-richness made for a subpar system that was really only useful for basic event display.

This is very true. These are all good features to have if enough time is put into them and they are correctly integrated with the core product. One benefit that XenForo has is the Alerts system. This could greatly increase activity in a calendar and gallery.

Top Bottom