1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caching for Xenforo.com

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by s.molinari, Aug 18, 2013.

1. s.molinari

s.molinari Well-Known Member

Does the Xenforo.com web server have a caching system in front of it like Varnish or Squid or any other type caching HTTP reverse proxy?

2. s.molinari

Oh, and I'll let you know why I ask, when I get the answer.;)

3. NixFifty

NixFifty Well-Known Member

Maybe this might provide your answer: Sep 9, 2011

XenForo search is beautiful.
  4. NixFifty

5. HWS

HWS Well-Known Member

As I know, just the usual memcache and APC.
  6. s.molinari

Yeah. I gathered that much and thanks for the answers.:) But APC and Memcache aren't http reverse proxy caches like Varnish or Squid.

7. HWS

HWS Well-Known Member

This is why I wrote "just". ;-)
  8. s.molinari

9. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

VB.com DOES have varnish in front of it doesn't it? Sure I read that recently on VB.com
  10. NixFifty

Yes it does.
  11. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

12. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

I'd bet a very large amount of money that there is no front-end caching systems in place on xenforo.com... it's simply not necessary. It varies depending on the complexity of the page being rendered (everything... queries, PHP processing, etc.), but for digitalpoint.com simple pages render in about 0.01 seconds... A really complex pages might see 0.15 seconds.

Something like Varnish might actually make things slower simply because of the overhead of needing to check the cache.

Caching is good when you are caching the right things... but I've never been a fan of full page caching... that usually means you have something built poorly to begin with if it needs it.
  13. s.molinari