Bye bye php 5.3

cPanel is awful when it comes to keeping things current. This is one of the reason why I recommend Direct Admin.

Yeah we've got a few DA licenses that we used to use for our VPS clients, I loved it - very clean and no-frills. Prefer the command line myself but a number of clients wanted a simple web gui which is understandable.

cPanel is just a mess, always has been always will be.

PHP 5.5 is out, what's up with 5.4 and 5.3?

Yay, finally we released PHP 5.5, which is a new big release for PHP. In preparation for this I yesterday sent out a mail to the PHP core developers stating that the "PHP-5.3 BRANCH IS CLOSED NOW". After I saw this quoted on twitter and different websites I want to make a few things clear for users of PHP:

• The mail is an information for core developer that all changes for 5.3 should go by the release master and our security group
  • We won't do normal bug fixes
  • we will continue doing security fixes for a year where needed
What this means for users of PHP is that they can continue using PHP 5.3 and when upgrades come they are very low risk of breaking anything (we always try not to break anything, but any person's bug might be another person's feature) so they should be applicable easily and applied fast. So when you are a happy PHP 5.3 user and don't want to touch too many things there is no immediate need to upgrade to 5.4 or 5.5 - for a year.

So even when you don't have to migrate why should you migrate? - Besides the new features I see two major reasons:

• Newer versions of PHP are generally more performant and efficient than older versions, meaning your users get faster response and you need less hosting/cloud resources to run your system.
  • You get all bug fixes
So when migrating where should you go to? PHP 5.4 or 5.5? - There the answer is, in my personal, quite easy: Go to 5.5! 5.5 will live longer than 5.4 so it is the more future save path, as we try hard to keep backwards compatibility migration should be fairly simple, etc. PHP 5.5 also mostly uses the same code as 5.4 with a few extra features. So for everything PHP 5.4 does PHP 5.5 does it as stable.

So go and fetch PHP 5.5, use for new projects and work on your migration from 5.3 but don't panic.

http://schlueters.de/blog/archives/173-PHP-5.5-is-out,-whats-up-with-5.4-and-5.3.html

Well i just checked one of my older servers which I have not updated since 2011... 5.2.17 hosting wordpress and other live sites :whistle:

I do run 5.3.21 on my other servers as I use laravel and it requires 5.3+ at least. Host all xF content on 5.3+

So can I run xenforo on PHP 5.4? I contacted my host about slow downs and he recommend and bumped me to 5.3, and said if xenforo supports 5.4 that it's even faster. Can I run on this safely? I enabled it and everything seems fine. I also noticed a 5.5 option in there also. Is this even better? What is safe and what would you recommend? Thanks for the info!

So can I run xenforo on PHP 5.4? I contacted my host about slow downs and he recommend and bumped me to 5.3, and said if xenforo supports 5.4 that it's even faster. Can I run on this safely? I enabled it and everything seems fine. I also noticed a 5.5 option in there also. Is this even better? What is safe and what would you recommend? Thanks for the info!

Yup will be fine. 5.3 was really one of the only big php upgrades to break compatibility mainly because it was time to remove stuff that they had warned was going to be removed years before (non-compatible scripts were then either ignoring the depreciated notices, or doing sloppy code).

Anything that works on 5.3 should work on 5.4 and 5.5 assuming it doesn't use one of the handful of removed bits in the two latter releases. XenForo works fine on 5.4 (not tested it on 5.5 but would assume its fine).

If you can, use 5.5 - its stable now and is now the CURRENT version of PHP, with 5.4 expected to go into EOL in early 2014.

In a nutshell when it comes to php this statement is importent:

If you dont upgrade PHP at least every 6 months, you're doing it wrong and can expect to be hacked or have other issues.

Well, I don't see any reasons to not update. I have a lot of add-ons installed, and so far I've not noticed bugs. In debug mode, there is a warning about preg_replace() though (being deprecated with /e modifier).
About speed, before, php-5.4 and APC were installed, now php-5.5 and Zend Optimizer+ ; from what I've seen my forum is really faster yes, more reactive for sure, at least if not much, it's still quite noticeable for me. For my case, I would say I gained around 15% in speed if not more -probably -.

Last edited:
Ya I think I would be good. I don't have any add-ons. Would I run into any problems in the future when 1.2 final come out? I mean as in upgrading? Or will it use 5.5 just fine? Can you always downgrade if there are problems?

If I'm right, Mike said 1.2 was working without issues with php-5.5. But if issues there are at some point, you can be sure it will be solved for the 1.2 stable version. Basically, you won't have problems.

I'm still on 5.3 and have ran into problems with Xenforo 1.2 Beta because of it. So should I ask my host if it's possible to upgrade me to 5.4?

How much would that cost?

If he is on a shared hosting, that can cost him a transfer to a VPS since the company wouldn't upgrade the entire server and break other people's software just because he asked.
He can also find a different shared hosting that support php 5.4 (or even php 5.5).

Top Bottom