Buying XenForo Help?

pilot823

So I'm really have one last question before buying xenForo and moving away from vbulletin.

XenForo License$140*,
extended for $40 for an additional 12 months.

What extras do you consider a must have items when buying xenForo? Not talking about addons just extras in my original purchase.

Branding Removal - $250*
XenForo Media Gallery - $60*
XenForo Resource Manager - $60*
XenForo Enhanced Search - $50*

Some concerns I have, why does xenForo not have a complete list of features the come packages with xenForo software?

It's the only forum software I've found that doesn't have a complete list of features.

I'm looking at shelling out $600 dollars and my biggest drawback/concern is the lack of a complete feature list. Should this even be a concern? The only reason I'm point this out and ask the question is because it's almost like xenForo has a reason for not posting a feature list.

You should certainly spend some time with the demo to test and make sure it behaves how you would expect.

It may also be worth making a list of features that you absolutely need and posting them here. We can certainly let you know from that what we have or what might need to be fulfilled by add ons.

I have a dedicated server, so no problem with Enhance search.

But my question is; why does xenforo not have a feature list? That's seems like just common sense that a feature list would be included on the XenForo web site.

Would listing a feature list possibly chase away customers or have a positive impact for people like me trying to not waste hours of my time researching for something that should be easy to find.

Chris I've try the demo out and for the most part I'm happy with what I've seen.

I just find it hard to believe that a core xenForo feature list can't be found.

I understand that different forum owners like myself will use addons. We have a couple addons on my current forum.

I'm just saying why should something so simple as a feature list be a big deal or missing! When I'm buying almost anything from cars, homes, phones electronic devices or even software I'm always looking for the list of goodies and features.

Last edited:
It has come up a few times over the years, as feedback, but it's just not something we've felt compelled to act upon, at this point. In a lot of ways, we're happier with people discovering the features for themselves because it removes any ambiguity that can result from assuming that a few words in a feature list is describing exactly something that meets their requirements.

I think I've inferred from a couple of your posts that this could be assumed to be hiding something; in fact I would say that conversely it is quite the opposite. Most of the pre-sales questions we get tend to be a specific list of needs (often with much more detail than you'd get from a simple feature list anyway) and those needs are matched up exactly to the features we have. I don't recall a time where this has resulted in any ambiguity, and again it appears to work well for us and the majority of our customers. It's unfortunate if it doesn't work well for you, personally, but of course you are more than welcome to ask as many questions as is necessary to ensure you're making the right decision.

Chris I've try the demo out and for the most part I'm happy with what I've seen.

I just find it hard to believe that a core xenForo feature list can't be found.

I understand that different forum owners like myself will use addons. We have a couple addons on my current forum.

I'm just saying why should something so simple as a feature list be a big deal or missing! When I'm buying almost anything from cars, homes, phones electronic devices or even software I'm always looking for the list of goodies and features.
you should buy xf, all the staff are good looking just see their pics...which basically tells you all you need to know about the software

god speed

also xf>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>vb

Chris I disgree with you on this 100%, the lack of a feature list for xenForo is a major drawback. I can't even remember the last time I bought (anything) with out looking at some type of features list that included pre-package especially when it come to software.

I'm not saying xenForo is trying to hide anything. So please don't take it the wrong way. But it's always been a red light for me when something missing that I think should be included. Nothing against xenForo I think it's great. It's clean and more what many forum owner like myself, understand that forum members today like to see in a forum software.

Thanks for all the feedback, now I can waste more of my day trying to understand the core features.

King I do agree with you. I will be buying XenForo because of many reason. One reason is due to vbulletin lack of understanding customers needs and building 5.0 when they needed to start over from scratch. The other being xenForo just has a better mouse trap and I really think it's the way to go for someone like me with a big sport forum.

I can waste more of my day trying to understand the core features.

That's not a waste - this alone should demonstrate a compelling reason why XF is better that your current system and contains the features you need.
As stated, if you then post the gaps you think are missing between core and your current, then people can jump in and point you in the direction of subtly core functionality you may have missed, or an add-on that fills.

I guess I'll just buy into what other think is better is better.

But honestly! Just to make a point.

When the last time you bought something with out looking at the features the item had to offer? I can honestly say I can't remember doing it unless I'm buying something like hand tools or bait to go fishing or maybe a broom.

I get the point everyone trying to make, I just happen to disgree.

When the last time you bought something with out looking at the features the item had to offer? I can honestly say I can't remember doing it unless I'm buying something like hand tools or bait to go fishing or maybe a broom.
I didn't buy XenForo without looking at the features listed in https://xenforo.com/community/forums/have-you-seen/ which you have been repeatedly directed to to answer your question of a features list. If you think "Thanks for all the feedback, now I can waste more of my day trying to understand the core features." reading this feature list is a waste of your time then you are muting/voiding your concerns in MHO.
I guess I'll just buy into what other think is better is better.
Isn't this going against all that you have been saying checking things out before you buy? Are you that easily influenced by others you forsake due diligence by not wasting your time reading the HYS node?
Just curious as this thread seems to be going in circles as people give you sound advise and answers to your questions that you disagree with.
The HYS node gives people a much more detailed explanation of features as apposed to a by point feature list.

I see both sides to this. On one hand forums tend to be heavily customized, so the default feature list may not mean anything. The flip side is that the 3 day demo didn't provide enough time/freedom with the product IMO. I ended up buying to really demo it, and I'm quite happy with the purchase (beyond a few wishlist items).

I would suggest just buying it if it's affordable to you, and hammer it out in testing. The resale value holds pretty well if you truly don't like it.

When the last time you bought something with out looking at the features the item had to offer?
Regularly, specifically with software.
Features and functionality changes and extends so often, I've never seen a software company provide a static list of all features.
I often review YouTube for example videos, such as XenForo have the Have You Seen's, to see what a software can and cannot do.

Also remember the https://xenforo.com/community/forums/xenforo-pre-sales-questions.5/ forum is full of the majority of question you are likely to want to ask too.

That what I'm planning to do is just buy it and testing drive it's on my server.

And then ask allot of questions, as I compare what's missing in the XenForo core software that vbulletin has in its core software. Also try to remember I don't want to make a move from vbulletin, I'm currently running 4.0 until I'm sure it's the correct move for my two forums and most importantly my members.

I really feel xenForo has allot more to offer in the long run and will help to maintane a continue growth of my forums into the future.

Top Bottom