Buying a Mac...

Like the thread starter am also shopping for a mac. Whats the lowest specs that I need for a mac computer that will let me edit slow motion effects in adobe premiere? Whats the lowest i would need to do this in final cut pro? I mean speed up then slow down type special effects. As a film major i need this in my life.

Like the thread starter am also shopping for a mac. Whats the lowest specs that I need for a mac computer that will let me edit slow motion effects in adobe premiere? Whats the lowest i would need to do this in final cut pro? I mean speed up then slow down type special effects. As a film major i need this in my life.
I would probably suggest a MacBook Pro with an HDD and 8GB RAM.

Thanks everyone, I will probably use Transmit.

SSD>HDD in all cases except those that require more space for your buck.
Untrue.

Many situations don't actually require a SSD (Most games, majority of programs, background processes). Things such as heavy graphic design, 3d rendering (Especially CAD), film editing, and more technical music editing definitely do.

Most people actually have no use for a SSD other than for faster boot times.

Huh? Transmit is one of the most highly regarded FTP apps for Mac...
That might be, but it ruined one of my forum installations when it overwrote everything :( I deinstalled it immediately, and no such thing has ever happened to faithful Fetch.

Untrue.

Many situations don't actually require a SSD (Most games, majority of programs, background processes). Things such as heavy graphic design, 3d rendering (Especially CAD), film editing, and more technical music editing definitely do.

I don't think there is ever a real "need" for an SSD but I have always preferred them. They run faster and the old downside is they are more expensive/GB but tbh I will probably never go over 200GB of space and if I go I will be an external HD.

Untrue.

Okay thanks. Unfortunately, the only MacBook's with SSD I saw in Best Buy were MacBook Air's which I've read suck for editing motion and the MacBook Pro Retina Display, which is above my budget.

I don't think there is ever a real "need" for an SSD but I have always preferred them. They run faster and the old downside is they are more expensive/GB but tbh I will probably never go over 200GB of space and if I go I will be an external HD.
Film editing, heavy graphic design, 3D modeling (Especially CAD) and technical music editing pretty much require high end setups. If you're doing any of those in a professional situation, SSD is pretty much a requirement.

Film editing, heavy graphic design, 3D modeling (Especially CAD) and technical music editing pretty much require high end setups. If you're doing any of those in a professional situation, SSD is pretty much a requirement.
Source? I wouldn't necessarily call it a requirement, although it can certainly help a lot in many applications where lots of data needs to transferred quickly (high resolution video recording/real-time editing being the best example).

Regardless, you can still do film editing, heavy graphic design, 3D modeling, and music editing without an SSD. People have been doing it for years.

I'm going to take issue with this as well. One of the primary benefits of an SSD is the reduced latency and access time due to the fact that a mechanical head doesn't have to re-align and wait for the data to spin underneath the read head to access it.

Replace your primary HD with an SSD will make everything feel faster because it drastically reduces the latency involved when your system is reading and writing to the drive for the mundane OS tasks that it does every second. It will also speed up the launch time for almost every application, again because of the reduced time it takes to access all the files (this will be especially noticeable if you are coming from a HDD that is heavily fragmented).

It will also make your games load much faster, as again, that's a case where you're streaming lots of data very quickly (especially noticeable in games with open worlds or larger worlds where the engine has to load assets on the fly - if you experience pop-in or texturing popping in a game, running that game from an SSD will drastically reduce that).
That might be, but it ruined one of my forum installations when it overwrote everything :( I deinstalled it immediately, and no such thing has ever happened to faithful Fetch.
You had it backed up, right? (If not, another reason to keep everything backed up, especially a forum installation...)

I'm going to take issue with this as well. One of the primary benefits of an SSD is the reduced latency and access time due to the fact that a mechanical head doesn't have to re-align and wait for the data to spin underneath the read head to access it.

Replace your primary HD with an SSD will make everything feel faster because it drastically reduces the latency involved when your system is reading and writing to the drive for the mundane OS tasks that it does every second. It will also speed up the launch time for almost every application, again because of the reduced time it takes to access all the files (this will be especially noticeable if you are coming from a HDD that is heavily fragmented).

It will also make your games load much faster, as again, that's a case where you're streaming lots of data very quickly (especially noticeable in games with open worlds or larger worlds where the engine has to load assets on the fly - if you experience pop-in or texturing popping in a game, running that game from an SSD will drastically reduce that).

+1 to this, a samsung 830 has made my 2ghz single core laptop (about time I upgraded :P) feel like my 6-core desktop for most basic office tasks/browsing, and it boots windows 7 in ~15 seconds. Plus although it's not the best practice, a pagefile on SSD in my experience cuts the ram required for an overall snappy system quite drastically

However, I've tested games on a last gen Crucial C300 with sequential read of 'only' 350MB/s and in pretty much every case there was no discernible difference in load times. Though I rarely play open world games

Source? I wouldn't necessarily call it a requirement, although it can certainly help a lot in many applications where lots of data needs to transferred quickly (high resolution video recording/real-time editing being the best example).

Regardless, you can still do film editing, heavy graphic design, 3D modeling, and music editing without an SSD. People have been doing it for years.

You had it backed up, right? (If not, another reason to keep everything backed up, especially a forum installation...)
The use cases I stated all use SSD's due to it being the major bottleneck of the system, and the performance completely outweighs the cost. You're not going to find anyone at Pixar, Disney, any major game company or any place that makes use of CAD who does not use SSD as the cost gets paid off within a few days due to saved time (An estimate, but to be safe lets say a week).

They might have done without it for years, but mostly because it was still cheaper and more reliable to use RAID arrays of high-end HDD's.

Even if it makes the system feel overall faster, the cost still outweighs the benefit for most users. It is often cheaper to get a higher end HDD (While it won't give you the performance of a lower end or mid-range SSD, you still get good performance) and just take care of it (Which most people do not do).

I have to say, I have barely noticed an improvement regarding games, and this system is ridiculously overspecced for when I actually do work that requires it (Rarely because I'm extremely lazy). A lot of the issue with open-world MMORPGs is often the fact that the game itself is not optimized (WoW especially is poorly optimized). Play a game like GW2 or another game that has had great care taken with the performance, and you'll find that SSD's give almost no benefit other than download times for patches (And then the bottleneck is internet speed).

I agree, SSD's are still very expensive compared to HDD's, but I would say that it's hard to put a price on the benefit of having an SSD, because for many people it's not going to be a dollar figure of time saved or whatever, it's going to simply be an increase in the enjoyment and pleasure of using their computer.

I don't buy a high-end video card because it saves me money, I buy it for the benefit of enjoying playing video games and using my computer. Same reason I will buy a faster processor or more RAM. It's not going to make me incredibly more efficient in terms of dollars earned, but it makes my computer a pleasure to use.

Regardless, with the rapid uptake of SSD's and the price increases of standard hard drives due to the Thailand floods (which have not come back down, even though the supply has apparently returned to pre-flood levels), I'm predicting that it won't be long before we see SSD's replace your standard HDD as the primary hard drive in almost all computers, and HDD's will be relegated to slower, large capacity, data storage-/archiving-type purposes.

Are there a tone of information to help with PHP coding and Zend?

Also what drive do you have? HDD or SSD?
There is a built in PHP book which is the online manual in nicer form for Coda use. You can set up additional books to use, so I have one for Zend and Java since those are what I use constantly right now.

Transmit overwrites, just like you would if you were copying files. It has a sync feature that has more fine-tuned controls. Its still a better FTP client.

Transmit overwrites, just like you would if you were copying files. It has a sync feature that has more fine-tuned controls. Its still a better FTP client.
You can actually set the default behavior in regards to overwriting files and folders... when I installed it everything was set to "ask me what to do" by default.

Screen Shot 2012-06-24 at 3.26.06 PM.webp

Top Bottom