Buying a Mac...

Just for everyone who uses Coda as their app for reference docs, Dash also has some pretty nice reference docs and I am trying to see which one has a more complete set of docs for each language. Dash wins in the quantity of languages, but I have yet to determine which one is the highest quality.

There is a built in PHP book which is the online manual in nicer form for Coda use. You can set up additional books to use, so I have one for Zend and Java since those are what I use constantly right now.
Awesome, thanks KK.

My personal must-have apps...

Transmit (FTP/SFTP)
BBEdit (text editor)
Zend Studio (IDE)
MaxMenus
Little Snitch (reverse firewall)
Thanks DP, appreciate your input.

Just for everyone who uses Coda as their app for reference docs, Dash also has some pretty nice reference docs and I am trying to see which one has a more complete set of docs for each language. Dash wins in the quantity of languages, but I have yet to determine which one is the highest quality.
Hmmm, I'm wondering that too now.

Coda 2 brought a lot more into the game when it was released.

Here we are, a week to 2 weeks out from getting my Macbook Pro, 15" with 2.3 GHz processor, Nvidia GeForce graphics.

The list of apps is long but I started my purchases with:
Adobe Photoshop CS6 for Windows/Mac
Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac

Hardware I bought:
Magic Mouse - Love this damn thing, want the pad but this will be best for use when in class.

Thanks again to everyone who suggested apps, one last suggestion I need is what antivirus software to purchase. I'm looking at Intego VirusBarrier but not sure just yet if I should go for it or Norton.

Here we are, a week to 2 weeks out from getting my Macbook Pro, 15" with 2.3 GHz processor, Nvidia GeForce graphics.

Hardware I bought:
Magic Mouse - Love this damn thing, want the pad but this will be best for use when in class.

Thanks again to everyone who suggested apps, one last suggestion I need is what antivirus software to purchase. I'm looking at Intego VirusBarrier but not sure just yet if I should go for it or Norton.
Unless you download a lot of files that you're unsure of, or visit a lot of shady sites, you don't need an antivirus on any platform.

If you need one, I'd avoid Norton because they're a pile of steaming crap. And I've never heard of Intego VirusBarrier, so I can't say how good they are (Can also mean that they're pretty useless).

Hardware I bought:

I've been using Intego Virus Barrier on my Macs for a few years, I'm happy with it. I wouldn't touch Norton with a 20 meter cattle prod, like Forsaken said they're terrible.

FWIW, you're not limited to those two, there are other options... You might want to consider F-Secure Anti-Virus for Mac, Eset Cyber Security for Mac or Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition (which is free for home use) instead.

I don't like F-Secure, my cable company offers it for free to me and it caused videos not to play on youtube nor could I get songs to play so I'm probably going with Intego VirusBarrier.

With Mountain Lion and Gatekeeper, you really shouldn't need anything as long as you are sensible about what websites you visit.

With Mountain Lion and Gatekeeper, you really shouldn't need anything (...)
It's funny people really still believe this. Flashback anyone!? :p

Not that I'm a fan of anti virus snake oil. But don't tell me Apple is taking security serious. They've been sleeping the last couple of years ...

With Mountain Lion and Gatekeeper, you really shouldn't need anything as long as you are sensible about what websites you visit.
Hate to inform you but in recent years there have been a few hackers that have created viruses for Mac's that may not effect your Mac but the instant you send an email, instant message, or image to someone that runs Windows you have infected them therefore becoming the cause of a large virus spread. So I would rather be safe and keep my friends safe from anything on my system.

I use Transmit for FTP/SFTP (and I really like it): http://panic.com/transmit/

For SSH/telnet, etc., I just use the built-in Terminal app (in Applications/Utilities). There's probably something fancier, but I've never needed something else, so I never looked.
Yes, I saw your list and got Transmit yesterday.
Was googling around and most people say iTerm is closest to putty for ssh client. I'm hoping I don't have to type in my ssh password everytime since it's randomly generated by the server and it's hard to remember (@#$^%@#$8479287erhyuwoiurw$@#$) or something like that ;)

Yes, I saw your list and got Transmit yesterday.
Was googling around and most people say iTerm is closest to putty for ssh client. I'm hoping I don't have to type in my ssh password everytime since it's randomly generated by the server and it's hard to remember (@#$^%@#$8479287erhyuwoiurw$@#$) or something like that ;)
Yeah, I use SSH keys instead of passwords myself... just drop your public key into ~/.ssh/ :) then it you don't even need a password, just to be on your physical computer.

Top Bottom