Buying a Mac...

The SSH key system is arguably more secure than passwords... and if you want to get *really* crazy with security, you can setup a two-factor auth for SSH logins:

http://www.mnxsolutions.com/security/two-factor-ssh-with-google-authenticator.html

Personally I don't use two factor auth... I use SSH keys and only let SSH traffic in on whitelisted IPs (so you would need to be physically in my house more or less).
This may work on a desktop and a static IP but that would mean I can't ssh from my laptop when I travel?

The SSH key system is arguably more secure than passwords... and if you want to get *really* crazy with security, you can setup a two-factor auth for SSH logins:

http://www.mnxsolutions.com/security/two-factor-ssh-with-google-authenticator.html

Personally I don't use two factor auth... I use SSH keys and only let SSH traffic in on whitelisted IPs (so you would need to be physically in my house more or less).
Don't give people ideas. That's the last thing this world needs, people with ideas.

Yes, I saw your list and got Transmit yesterday.
Was googling around and most people say iTerm is closest to putty for ssh client. I'm hoping I don't have to type in my ssh password everytime since it's randomly generated by the server and it's hard to remember (@#$^%@#$8479287erhyuwoiurw$@#$) or something like that ;)

As mentioned before just use SSH keys.

And if you need something like a bookmark manager for your SSH hosts and keys have a look at JellyfiSSH.

SecureCRT is my main telnet/ssh client, have it on both the Mac and Windows. Cannot stand putty though I do use the terminal app on the Mac every now and then.

This is how you SSH on a Mac (in a terminal):
Code:
ssh user@hostname

iTerm is just a replacement for Terminal. It has some useful features but isn't really needed if you aren't in the terminal a lot.

As others have mentioned, use public-key authentication with a passphrase. Then you can add the key and passphrase to your OS X keychain so you don't have to enter the passphrase each time if you wish.

Github has a good guide on how to generate SSH keys if you don't have a set already:
https://help.github.com/articles/generating-ssh-keys

It's funny people really still believe this. Flashback anyone!? :p

Not that I'm a fan of anti virus snake oil. But don't tell me Apple is taking security serious. They've been sleeping the last couple of years ...
AFAIK Gatekeeper would not allow this on Mountain Lion. If you try to run executable code that's not signed by Apple, OS X won't run it and you'll get a warning notice. Correct me if I am wrong, though.

Actually, I think I'm wrong on this. I think Gatekeeper only checks files with the quarantined extended attribute, which Flashback's executable code would not have. Regardless, I still do not believe I need a full anti-virus solution. I have Little Snitch installed, I disable Java in my browsers, and I am very sensible about what websites I visit and what I download.

Well you can always finance it, but overall it's pricier than 90% of the rest.

But, you won't regret it, ever.
Luckily my school is giving me some extra money for this session so I'm buying a refurbished one. Have it picked out and comes with a 2 year extended warranty. All from newegg.com

Not sure if someone already suggested it (sorry, not reading through 5 pages of replies :p), but Transmit is hands down the best FTP client for OS X. It might not be free like Cyberduck (which is also good, just very basic), but it's more than worth the price.

Transmit has a "sync" feature which is much like the rsync terminal command, and will even let you do a dry run to see what files are going to get update. This is perfect for doing XF/addon upgrades and/or if you have a local dev copy of your forums.

It's also made by the same people who make Coda 2, Panic. Coda 2 uses transmit's FTP engine, but I still use Transmit for intensive file transfers.

www.panic.com/transmit

Top Bottom