Brogan

• Thread starter Thread starter Syndol
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
... at the end of the day, we don't buy Xenforo for the community - thats just the cherry on the sundae. Its for the software. Nothing has changed in that respect.

Don't agree Fred. People have actually said on this thread they bought XF because of the excellent support and community aspect.
If you just install the bare bones software and you feel on your own with attempts to customise or even use the features, then you're not going to be a happy customer.

I myself have seen a great many new enquiries on this forum turned into sales precisely because they got immediate answers and reassurance. I used to actually help Brogan do this. It was cool seeing someone say "oh now I feel confident about buying" after getting their questions answered clearly.

Second XF needs RENEWALS not just new sales. A lot of that depends on efficient happy forums working throughout the licence period. That so often comes down to fast efficient courteous informative support.

Third as I said earlier one of XF's great strengths is its flexibility to customise. But it has its own coding system (contrary to what IB claim) and that means you need help to get to grips with it. That means forum support and guides - both were provided by Brogan.

Brogan stated he did it for the community, to draw attention to something he felt needed to be addressed, and it has been. He fell on his sword for us. His expertise will be missed, but his replacements are equally as skilled, so there will be an initial drop and then growth beyond the point of disruption.

We have yet to see if the new mods are a match for Brogan. I greatly respect the new mods but on the other hand over 12 years or more of membership of many forums, and experience as admin using 5 different types of forum software in that time, I have NEVER seen the equal of Brogan. He was just outstanding, head and shoulders above any others.

It will be no discredit if the new mods cannot match him, now or later. He was just that good. They'll do very well I'm sure, because they are good people, but we just won't have that exceptionally sure, skilled, experienced hand on the wheel any more which was so extraordinary.
This is why XF has lost a major asset.

His final action improved the outlook for Xenforo, not put it in jeopardy.

Well yes XF will have learned not to rely on one stellar excellent mod.
But again we have lost the best there is. That does leave XF vulnerable as it adjusts which isn't an overnight thing. People are going to be shocked and bruised for a while yet and no amount of rosy talk will speed up the healing process.
I think people are doing very well. This thread has not been nasty or pointless. It's moving through a recovery sequence in good order.

Then having a team of mods has its own complications. This is a new challenge. One person knows exactly what they said where to who. Multiple people can easily contradict each other/ assume the other has done a task but they haven't/ kick up resentments between them, etc. Teamwork ain't easy. But we all know these guys are good so they WILL get it going.

Yea, keep it up. This thread getting linked to and viewed is not doing anything to help xenForo out. So just keep it up and enjoy your 15 minutes of xenForo internet fame.

Good. We are demonstrating that XF is strong enough to permit open discussion.
Of course people don't like it that we've lost Brogan. But XF is not a dictator to crack the whip and say "Shut up and get back to running your forums and making money for us."
That kind of stuff does happen elsewhere but NOT HERE.

XF is still a strong healthy community.
What Brogan has built is not going to crumble without him. That is very much to his credit - and the original community structure set up by the XF team.

Paul and Kier have made their decisions.
Accept it.

The decision is accepted.
The debate is about coping with its impact, and honouring the greatness of Brogan.

In this case I think there is still a window of opportunity to invite Paul Brogan back. He may not accept the invitation. But it needs to be made - and be seen to be made.

We don't know that they haven't approached Brogan. Whether they have, or have not, is between KAM and Brogan.
At any rate, Paul did already state that he would not return, period.

So that's that, and I'm with some of the others, it IS time to move on.

... I'd imagine he feels a lot better, stress wise, since leaving.

I know I did. ;)

I suggest finding a therapist and perhaps making a fanpage on Facebook.
LOL I so agree. Good Lord talk about putting someone up on a pedestal. He IS human after all, and I'm sure made mistakes, as we all do.
He was and is a very good moderator, but not perfect, by any means.

2010.8.31+DeadHorse.png

This thread has finished with anything useful being posted in it and is now just being used as an excuse for people to stir trouble.

I think I can say that 99% of the community here feel Brogans leaving will be a tragic loss to XenForo, however any personal issues that need to be resolved between him and KAM are private and one would hope in time he may return to us.

If you wish to offer further thanks or support to Brogan then feel free to send him a PM or leave a message on his profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom