1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Books, Reading, and You

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Caliburn, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Caliburn

Caliburn Well-Known Member

I find myself immersed in a book. A unique story for sure. I have just spent the past 10 hours straight reading 33 chapters (and we're talking long chapters here) of this book without many breaks during it. That was book I of III and now it's taking a wild turn. That said, that brings me to a question.

Have you ever found yourself immersed into a story so much that putting it down and walking away from it for a while just doesn't seem logical or right? I know I'm tired. I know I should go to sleep. And as I read into the 2nd book in the series (which is 26 chapters longer than the 1st book), I keep telling myself 'after this chapter'. And yet I continue on.

Has this ever happened to you?

2. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Unfortunately. :rolleyes:

Thankfully I don't read throughout the year but in "bursts," where I'll read a bunch of books within a short period of time and it usually lasts a month or so. During that time I don't like doing much else but reading and easily forgetting to eat. If it wasn't for a stomach growls and a headache I'd skip eating altogether!

3. Caliburn

Somewhat the same here. I don't do much reading to be honest but once in a great while, a story will capture me and not let go.

4. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

I usually finish books in a single sitting.

5. anotheralias

anotheralias Well-Known Member

The only time I ever called in sick when I wasn't really sick, was to finish a book.

Photon likes this.
  6. Caliburn

Well, I'm going to bed finally. I've made it through another 15 chapters. So all in all, I've read 48 chapters of this story and I'm not even a quarter of the way through the 2nd book. I have another book after this one and it's about 58 chapters long. Damn good story.

7. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

I think the worst books to start reading are series. :p At least with a stand-alone book once you're done, you're done.

8. Floris

Floris Guest

Ah, I almost want to spam my site wetalkbooks.net here :/

I wish there were more fun places to discuss books, talk about book reading and writing, etc on web sites.

9. Caliburn

Well here I am again. Made it to Chapter 22 so far today. This story is getting really good, now. So many twists and turns...

10. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Well-Known Member

I've just finished reading one of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books. I enjoyed it and now feel compelled to read the rest of the series :eek:

11. Caliburn

I've never read those books, before. What are they about?

Just left off on chapter 26, by the way. Long chapters. :eek:

12. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

I find it very easy to get totally immersed in a good book!

I don't read as much as I did but when I get the chance I love reading more than any other form of entertainment! I would much rather read a book than watch a movie!

13. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Well-Known Member

In Terry Pratchett's own words;

14. Caliburn

Interesting.

Alright. I've slept for a bit. Now on to reading! Chapter 26, here I come!

15. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Hm, I don't think you've mentioned it but what book are you reading?

16. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Site reported to Facebook ...... use of term "talk" clearly an FB original idea.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but plenty of book forums out there :) We're starting one real soon on Xen software, need some sort of an integrated review option there but will no doubt sort something out in due course.

Edit: Nice site Floris, though latest topic seems to be "Anyone watched Trueblood", I can groove to that.

17. Floris

Floris Guest

The "featured threads" in the top is network wide, we also have a tv section under wetalk.tv (or rather wetalkmedia.net).

18. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Ah okay ... big fan of True Blood (television series) so no problems for me :)

Nice looking site, didn't delve in that far as am caught up on a project but will check back. Nice to see someone with something up supporting writers and book lovers :)

19. Floris

Floris Guest

The cool thing about our network set up is, your login on wetalkbooks.net works on wetalkmedia.net too. So you can just switch community board and focus on the topics you like.