XF 1.2 Blank Alerts

xenTheory

The built in Alerts function produces an error - an alert is made by there is no link, no text and the box isn't clickable. I've also tested the bd tag me addon and the same problem occurs.

Anyone have any ideas? It's a simple 1.15 to 1.2 upgrade and produced no errors, there were also no server errors logged.

I've also made a post in the bd tags area, however the problem occurs with or without that enabled. Not sure if that would be considered a duplicate post or not?

Untitled-4.webp

Last edited:
This is usually caused by an add-on.

Is there anything logged in the Server Error Log in the Admin CP?

Hi Chris, I've checked the server logs and there is nothing at all there - I cleared it after upgrading to 1.2 a few days ago and no errors since.

@Chris Deeming

Here's a list of all addons, whether enabled or not, that are currently installed.

Add My Posts & My Threads to Navbar [Kinetic] 1.2
Add-on Install & Upgrade 1.0.3
******* - Change Threads/Posts Owner 1.0.3
Donation Manager 1.0.2
Help Pages 1.2
Last Post Avatar by Waindigo 1.1.8b
Maximum Guest Views by Waindigo 1.0.0e
microCART Multi Vendor 3.0.8
Nodes As Tabs 1.2.0
Resource Manager - Date Change 1.0.2
Resource Manager - Thread Reassign 1.0.1
Separate Sticky and Normal Threads 1.0
XenForo Resource Manager 1.0.2
Xenplaza - Rename Attachments 1.0
[8wayRun.Com] XenPorta (Portal) 1.5.9
[8wayRun.Com] XenUtiles (Sitemap) 1.0.1
[bd] Tag Me 2.0.1
[bd] Widget Framework 2.2.3b
[Extra License] New User Conversation 1.0.4
[RT] Spoiler 1.0.1
[******] Custom Node Icon 0.9
[xfr] User Albums 1.0.0 b7

Last edited:
The alerts that have no text.

What are they being generated by? Only by TagMe?

Or are they being generated by default functionality too such as quotes, replies and likes?

The alerts that have no text.

What are they being generated by? Only by TagMe?

Or are they being generated by default functionality too such as quotes, replies and likes?

I've completely removed bd tag me now so only the default functionality is left. I've just tested using an admin account and standard account - Liking a post gives the correct result in the Alerts area, so I think it's just when using @.

So those blank ones are where someone has tagged you using the built in XF 1.2 functionality?

Can you check your Admin CP for this template: alert_post_tag
And this phrase: x_tagged_you_in_post_in_thread_y

Do they exist? Do they both have some sort of content in them?

So those blank ones are where someone has tagged you using the built in XF 1.2 functionality?

Can you check your Admin CP for this template: alert_post_tag
And this phrase: x_tagged_you_in_post_in_thread_y

Do they exist? Do they both have some sort of content in them?

alert_post_tag doesn't exist on the custom style or the default o_O

That appears to have fixed the issue. Thank you :) Can I ask why that wasn't done as part of the 1.2 upgrade process? I'm guessing it should have been but obviously something didn't complete, although no errors were produced.

Whilst I'm talking about the 1.2 upgrade.... the ajax loader image didn't work when upgrading. Not a big issue but thought it worth mentioning.

Also, @Chris Deeming would you mind removing that URL from your post?
Any particular reason? Everyone has the same install URL.

That appears to have fixed the issue. Thank you :) Can I ask why that wasn't done as part of the 1.2 upgrade process? I'm guessing it should have been but obviously something didn't complete, although no errors were produced.

Whilst I'm talking about the 1.2 upgrade.... the ajax loader image didn't work when upgrading. Not a big issue but thought it worth mentioning.

It's the first time we've seen this issue. I even checked the old version of Tag Me in case that had a template of the same name (which would have been deleted when you uninstalled it) but Tag Me's template is called alert_post_tagged . Slightly different. Can't think what else would cause it though, unless that template did exist and was assigned to that add-on or if it was deleted manually after the upgrade was complete.

We'll have to mark it "unexplained" I think :)

Not sure about the ajax loader image. Pretty sure I've seen it during my upgrades.

Any particular reason? Everyone has the same install URL.

It's the first time we've seen this issue. I even checked the old version of Tag Me in case that had a template of the same name (which would have been deleted when you uninstalled it) but Tag Me's template is called alert_post_tagged . Slightly different. Can't think what else would cause it though, unless that template did exist and was assigned to that add-on or if it was deleted manually after the upgrade was complete.

We'll have to mark it "unexplained" I think :)

Not sure about the ajax loader image. Pretty sure I've seen it during my upgrades.

I know everyone has the same URL but not everyone knows about it... unless this area of the forum is not visible to the public? Call it paranoia :P

Before the upgrade I disabled all the addons and removed any that weren't of use or that were no longer required due to features be added to core functionality. I'm not sure about the ajax loader image either, it doesn't really matter but made the window stretch to around 1000px long - I tried it on two upgrades (one main and one dev) so I'm guessing it's server related. However I do have another license and that's on another server so I'll see if that does the same when upgrading. If it does then it's me related :notworthy:

Again thank you both for your help. Support really is top notch from the community and staff.

This has also happened to me (now fixed with re-importing the Master Data) and it was the alert_post_tag that was missing .

Comparing my list of add-ons to those of the OP, the ones we have in common are (some with different version numbers):

******* - Change Threads/Posts Owner 1.0.4
Last Post Avatar by Waindigo 1.1.8b
Nodes As Tabs 1.2.2
[8wayRun.Com] XenPorta (Portal) 1.6.0
[bd] Tag Me 2.0.1

I think the blank alerts have only happened recently though, which I guess would rule out many of these as they have not been changed for a few weeks. The only exception to that is Nodes As Tabs which was updated at the end of September. Looking back in my emails, I received an email about a tag in a post just before updating Nodes As Tabs and I'm sure I'd have spotted a blank alert then.

Could Nodes As Tabs have anything to do with this? I'd have thought not, I don't think it has anything to do with the alert_post_tag template?

The only other possibility that I can think of (and would be more likely) is Tapatalk, which I uninstalled on 17th October. Now I know that it uses alerts and searching the install XML file I found

Code:
    <template title="alert_post_tag" version_id="8" version_string="1.1.4"><![CDATA[{xen:phrase x_taged_you_in_post_in_thread_y,
    'name={xen:helper username, $user, 'subject'}',
    'title=<a href="{xen:link posts, $content}" class="PopupItemLink">{xen:helper threadPrefix, $content}{$content.title}</a>'}]]></template>
  </templates>
(and yes, they have misspelled the phrase!)

Could it be uninstalling Tapatalk that has removed the alert_post_tag template? The above is the only reference I can find to the template in Tapatalk, I can't see a reference to removing a template unless I should be looking for something less obvious?

Top Bottom