Black Gaming XenForo Site?

Bad idea or Good idea?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm mostly focusing on the main site. The XenForo forums will probably only have around 10 subforums that would cover the different platforms of gaming, a subforum with discussion about articles from the wordpress site, an off-topic forum and a subforum where gamers can trade links to their own sites and blogs. Race shouldn't be an issue for any of those subforums. The only time Race matters is in the Xenforo subforum with discussions about articles from the wordpress site because I'll only be covering articles about Blacks in the gaming industry.

Well I'll be honest I never voted because i didn't entirely know what the intentions of the site, reasons behind such a project were (personally I thought the thread was a joke) but since you've explained yourself further into the thread you should go for it. I haven't personally looked around to see if this has been done but I'm sure if you put your own stamp to the whole project you could have a success story on your hands, then again it could be a failure but you won't know until you try so I wish you all the best with it and goodluck.

If I were you and I'm serious about having a wordpress and a forum like xenforo, I would have two different domain names. Why? Because 50% of the time, your visitors skip right to the forum [if it is on a single domain] or stay on blog based around their personal choices - and perception of either one.

You have to decide what you want for each form of media: blog/forum.

But that's just me. I could go in detail but I don't think you want to read too much.
I agree. You don't have to explain it to me. I learned first-hand when I was using vbCMS as my main site. Some people who joined did not know what the site was about. They didn't know the rules either. Both the Site's purpose and rules were on the first page. I believe people skipped right to the forums because no articles really jumped out at them. I think articles only jump out when it's recent and have a lot of pictures. People will click on links that interest them though. Because I had plenty of links that lead to the forum, I never had to worry about people not finding the forums.

In other words, the wordpress will have plenty of links to the forums but only after I create the forums. I need to make the main site look sort've relevant and pretty if it's to be the main domain though. That's kind of the point of portals anyway. It's like an entranceway with links that hopefully lead you where you want to go. It's hard to do that on a forum home page without it looking cluttered.

Well I'll be honest I never voted because i didn't entirely know what the intentions of the site, reasons behind such a project were (personally I thought the thread was a joke) but since you've explained yourself further into the thread you should go for it. I haven't personally looked around to see if this has been done but I'm sure if you put your own stamp to the whole project you could have a success story on your hands, then again it could be a failure but you won't know until you try so I wish you all the best with it and goodluck.
The first post reads like a joke due to all the negative feedback I posted inside of it lol. Thanks man I appreciate it. I will probably end up having more White members than Black like Carlos mentioned but it's still worth a shot.

Erm, wouldn't that go completely against what the forum was about?
No. Because while the forum is about black people connecting with each other, the topic is very controversial. Just the whole notion of "blacks." People discriminate against blacks on a daily basis, media rips them a new one every single crime that goes on in the news, in fact, a NBA player was ripped a new one because he was in a Black Ops trailer with enjoyment. This stigma with blacks is going to continue if the media keeps destroying them on a daily basis. All this racism, all this prejudice is based around the media making a stigma about them being nothing but criminals.

This means blacks can't have a presence in any industry as a "face" much less video games.

The fact that people like N'Gai Coral, TheHipHopGamer are the only black people that have the presence in the industry today, and nobody else...Is pretty sad. There isn't too many game developers that are black people. This, in my opinion needs to change, we need more diversity.

T8L is trying to take this and spin black people as whatever he think is right. I know there are hundreds of black gamers worldwide, most of them feel sheltered because of discrimination, stigma, racism, and prejudice against them is still strong.

And I'm willing to bet that most blacks that are gamers; don't want to speak up because of all this oppression against them. N'Gai is lucky to be well respected because of his neutrality.

Well I want to create a xenforo site and this was my idea for a forum. Just wanted some feedback that's all. You can delete the thread if you like. I don't think it's segregation. I see black tv stations, black movies, black sites about black movies or black music but no gaming sites.
i dont think its such a bad idea or overtly 'shocking'. i have certainly found myself at websites that are seemingly targeting a black demographic, just like a website for women or men, danish people or mexican people, etc.
i think perhaps you should target the demographic without being so crass as to mention that 'its for blacks' though. if you target the design and market to the crowd you want there, you wont need to.

contrarian thinking is most commonly used in investing: just act against of what the masses do or what the masses tell you. this is usually the way you make the most money in investing. it is some kind of philosophy. think about 11 years ago when everybody said: "internet search-engines are dead" and yahoo and everybody else said they will stop offering "internet search". then a tiny company named google '(nobody knew this company then at that time) re-developed search..... the rest is history.

the money is in niches! also think about what kind of "gaming" you offer (roulette, poker, internet gaming, horse-racing, sports-betting, etc.). I know there are many games which are commonly played by asian people, and no white person has ever heard of those kind of games........
Right on the mark! Buy when everyone else is selling, sell when everyone else is buying. Don't do what everyone else is doing, do what no one else is doing! Most things obvious are not worth doing.

Remember when the computer was going to create "the paperless office"? Would have been the time to invest in the future of paper! Nothing generates paper like a PC!

Not certain about the "blacks only" idea, that will just invite non-black hacker/spammer/flammers. I'd make it about black gaming (however you define it), but not exclusive. Starts getting touchy when you qualify entry by race. Not a 100% fair comparison, but what if I made a gaming site "For Whites Only"! Now I can't remember which shoe my foot is in.

Well I want to create a xenforo site and this was my idea for a forum. Just wanted some feedback that's all. You can delete the thread if you like. I don't think it's segregation. I see black tv stations, black movies, black sites about black movies or black music but no gaming sites.
I'll give you my first impression based on the thread title...

WTF is that? A place for people to bet on the outcome of a Michael Vick dogfight?

Now, why did I think that? Racism? No.

There are areas of distinct black culture. So I began to think about what would be unique about the black gaming experience, initially thinking video games. Nothing came to mind. So then I thought alternate definition - gaming as in gambling. Dogfighting immediately comes to mind, because of the high visibility of Vick right now.

I'm not offering an opinion on what you should or shouldn't do. Sometime success is found in bucking the trends and going against the grain. I'm simply giving you my first impression and thought process as a data point for you in your decision making.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

No. Because while the forum is about black people connecting with each other, the topic is very controversial. Just the whole notion of "blacks." People discriminate against blacks on a daily basis, media rips them a new one every single crime that goes on in the news, in fact, a NBA player was ripped a new one because he was in a Black Ops trailer with enjoyment. This stigma with blacks is going to continue if the media keeps destroying them on a daily basis. All this racism, all this prejudice is based around the media making a stigma about them being nothing but criminals.

This means blacks can't have a presence in any industry as a "face" much less video games.

The fact that people like N'Gai Coral, TheHipHopGamer are the only black people that have the presence in the industry today, and nobody else...Is pretty sad. There isn't too many game developers that are black people. This, in my opinion needs to change, we need more diversity.

T8L is trying to take this and spin black people as whatever he think is right. I know there are hundreds of black gamers worldwide, most of them feel sheltered because of discrimination, stigma, racism, and prejudice against them is still strong.

And I'm willing to bet that most blacks that are gamers; don't want to speak up because of all this oppression against them. N'Gai is lucky to be well respected because of his neutrality.
Yeah I do see a lot of negative news about Blacks in the media. I'll probably include a section about negative portrayal's of Blacks in the media since you brought it up so that peeps are kept up-to-date on how racist the media still is to this day.

i dont think its such a bad idea or overtly 'shocking'. i have certainly found myself at websites that are seemingly targeting a black demographic, just like a website for women or men, danish people or mexican people, etc.
i think perhaps you should target the demographic without being so crass as to mention that 'its for blacks' though. if you target the design and market to the crowd you want there, you wont need to.
It's not really that complicated but it seems like it to people when I talk about it.

To me it will be just like any other gaming forum. It will just happen to have a main site attached to it talking about Blacks in gaming.

Not too concerned what goes on in the XenForo forums.

Right on the mark! Buy when everyone else is selling, sell when everyone else is buying. Don't do what everyone else is doing, do what no one else is doing! Most things obvious are not worth doing.

Remember when the computer was going to create "the paperless office"? Would have been the time to invest in the future of paper! Nothing generates paper like a PC!

Not certain about the "blacks only" idea, that will just invite non-black hacker/spammer/flammers. I'd make it about black gaming (however you define it), but not exclusive. Starts getting touchy when you qualify entry by race. Not a 100% fair comparison, but what if I made a gaming site "For Whites Only"! Now I can't remember which shoe my foot is in.
LOL Nothing is white's only about the community, but the articles are only about Blacks in the gaming industry. It would be funny if someone made a spin-off of a White's Only kind of gaming site but I wouldn't be surprised if something like that already exists somewhere in Neo-Nazi Land. About hackers/spammers/flamers. That's just a given. I know it would happen. I think that's why my Black coworkers thought it was a bad idea and believed it wouldn't last 3 months. I've seen hackers destroy Black sites and cover it up with racist pictures and stuff. I've seen that happen on SOHH. It was so bad it was on the news. If it happens, it happens. That's life. It's one of the reasons I picked XenForo because I've read the security is better than vBulletins.

Just do it....if people feel it...the community will grow in time whether long or short...period. If your intention is as real as your puttin it out there to be than you have a solid foundation to build on.

As far as saying stressing black or white or purple with green dots...it doesn't really matter or it does. If I am truly to say I am null of a racist thought than color is just a adjective. People I chill with often say things like " yeah that white dude there" or "nah not that dude, that one..yeah asian holmes" or even something like "nah nah dat spanish nicca".

A color is just a color...a name is just a name. It only holds the value you stake in it. If your site is named whatever you name it...good..perfect...just remember that at a site with your focus I would say rules of conduct are key in the forums...if you don't enforce general respect strictly...the site will most likely fail.

I'll give you my first impression based on the thread title...

WTF is that? A place for people to bet on the outcome of a Michael Vick dogfight?

Now, why did I think that? Racism? No.

There are areas of distinct black culture. So I began to think about what would be unique about the black gaming experience, initially thinking video games. Nothing came to mind. So then I thought alternate definition - gaming as in gambling. Dogfighting immediately comes to mind, because of the high visibility of Vick right now.

I'm not offering an opinion on what you should or shouldn't do. Sometime success is found in bucking the trends and going against the grain. I'm simply giving you my first impression and thought process as a data point for you in your decision making.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
lmaoooooooo I'm gonna write articles about you guys posts. This is hilarious. I'll have a pic of Michael Vic holding the dog as the cover.

Just do it....if people feel it...the community will grow in time whether long or short...period. If your intention is as real as your puttin it out there to be than you have a solid foundation to build on.

As far as saying stressing black or white or purple with green dots...it doesn't really matter or it does. If I am truly to say I am null of a racist thought than color is just a adjective. People I chill with often say things like " yeah that white dude there" or "nah not that dude, that one..yeah asian holmes" or even something like "nah nah dat spanish nicca".

A color is just a color...a name is just a name. It only holds the value you stake in it. If your site is named whatever you name it...good..perfect...just remember that at a site with your focus I would say rules of conduct are key in the forums...if you don't enforce general respect strictly...the site will most likely fail.
I'm not doing anything special with the rules. I'll be copy-n-pasting the rules from my vbulletin site, over to the Black gaming site. I agree with enforcing the rules though. I can see how people will try to break or circumvent them in an effort troll. People love breaking rules, just a part of life. If you can build it, it can be broken.

yes

With proper maintenance structure stands longer.
True that.

Did you know a Black dude created the first videogame console?

Jerry Lawson, Inventor of Modern Game Console, Dies at 70

lawson_660.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom