Black Gaming XenForo Site?

Bad idea or Good idea?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, but have you seen HipHopGamer.com? That's a "black gaming site" and I get where you're going with this 'black gaming forum' you want to capture the whole "I'ma blak dude, yo" crowd. Even though it's a bit controversial, I know what you're trying to do.
That site doesn't have a forum. Try again!

If that is common for the gamers you know, then so be it, but for the gamers I know, what I posted holds true.
Are the gamers you know predominantly American or British?

I'm saying this from what I've seen by playing many games (I've played the majority of online MMO), and players will segregate based on ethnicity or nationality because they'll have more in common. Language is also a common cause, which is logical because they're going to be more comfortable with their primary language.

I don't think it would work for a black gamer site, only because the target groups will probably be in the US and UK, and there likely won't be much difference between them and other players.

You said site in one of your posts. :( But I get where ya going.

Do it. Forget these "naysayers" and that includes your co-workers.

But however, DO not. I repeat DO NOT. Make it known that the site is only for "black people." If you want to target that market, just let the forum be; and in the "about section" (a lot of forums have them, some don't), and in that section "[site name here] was founded to unite the black gaming community together in one forum to connect gamers of [insert ethnicity here]..."

I'm trying not to use "black" in that sentence, but if you could say it better than I, please replace "black" with whatever fits that area well - because it's sort of offensive. Sure, they're black, but you could offend a "black" person just calling them out as "black."

The way to 'target' that market is by branding it as such. So, your site needs a brand that associates with "black people." So, hopefully, you have a black friend or two - pick their brain - ask what they like in a website... what makes a site attractive to them, the like. And then, brand the site align with whatever your friend(s) suggested.

I do know one thing; your site needs to be edgy as hell. Edgy. Say it with me: Edgy. If your members want a rap forum, make one, if your members want hip hop discussion, allow it, if your members want to swear, allow it, if your members want ebonics talk, allow it. Keep doing it until someone's angry about a particular feature.

contrarian thinking is most commonly used in investing: just act against of what the masses do or what the masses tell you. this is usually the way you make the most money in investing. it is some kind of philosophy. think about 11 years ago when everybody said: "internet search-engines are dead" and yahoo and everybody else said they will stop offering "internet search". then a tiny company named google '(nobody knew this company then at that time) re-developed search..... the rest is history.
Oh okay. Contrarian Thinking is probably what made me create the site I have now. It's supposed to be a copyright tutorial website but I haven't got around to making the tutorials first. I wanted to make a forum first because when I was telling a friend about my idea for the site, he told me it would be a bad idea to add a forum and to only focus on the main site. So I made the forum first, then would work on the main site later (which I'm about to start work on this month).

Sometimes I do stuff just to see if I can do it when people tell me I can't. I don't really think of it as contrarian thinking even though it is. It feels more like stubbornness

yeah, and do not only focus onto US and UK only.
the world is much bigger...... some US people just did not notice yet ;)

The problem I see is how are you going to distinguish between people's colour? How would you possibly know. Most importantly, let's say a non black person joins your site, makes it known that they are no black just out of spite, how would you deal with this kind of scenario?This could be one of the many issues you are left to deal with that takes up the majority of your time instead of allocating the time into development, marketing content building etc etc and so forth.

I'm saying this from what I've seen by playing many games (I've played the majority of online MMO), and players will segregate based on ethnicity or nationality because they'll have more in common. Language is also a common cause, which is logical because they're going to be more comfortable with their primary language.

I don't think it would work for a black gamer site, only because the target groups will probably be in the US and UK, and there likely won't be much difference between them and other players.
I'll just be covering Black gamers world-wide. It's going to require extensive google searching since I don't know what the gaming industry is like in other countries. For instance, I can't think of any gaming companies in Africa. Makes me wonder what the gaming community is like over there.

The problem I see is how are you going to distinguish between people's colour? How would you possibly know. Most importantly, let's say a non black person joins your site, makes it known that they are no black just out of spite, how would you deal with this kind of scenario?This could be one of the many issues you are left to deal with that takes up the majority of your time instead of allocating the time into development, marketing content building etc etc and so forth.
I say, allow "non-blacks" to enter the site, just as LONG as respect is maintained between users.

The ones I know offline, American. The ones I know online are spread out over the globe; USA, UK, Japan, and India plus any possible country for the ones that it has never come up as to their locale.

... Language is also a common cause, which is logical because they're going to be more comfortable with their primary language.
Language, on the other hand, is a natural divider and language specific dominated forums are to be expected.

You said site in one of your posts. :( But I get where ya going.

Do it. Forget these "naysayers" and that includes your co-workers.

But however, DO not. I repeat DO NOT. Make it known that the site is only for "black people." If you want to target that market, just let the forum be; and in the "about section" (a lot of forums have them, some don't), and in that section "[site name here] was founded to unite the black gaming community together in one forum to connect gamers of [insert ethnicity here]..."

I'm trying not to use "black" in that sentence, but if you could say it better than I, please replace "black" with whatever fits that area well - because it's sort of offensive. Sure, they're black, but you could offend a "black" person just calling them out as "black."
No it's not only for Black people. In the about section I'll write something about how it is was created to educate the world about Black contributions to the gaming industry. 'The world' is a pretty all-inclusive phrase. For instance, say a White couple adopted a Black child and their child showed interest in having a career in the gaming industry. Some White couples make it an issue to let their kid know about Black history just like Black couples but they would not know where to look. It would take an effort to find that kid a role model that would describe their struggle in the industry. I say there would be a struggle in the industry because there usually is a struggle for anything Black people barely have a presence in. This isn't just a general statement I'm making. I'm serious. It's well-documented. Prejudice and racism still exists. So yeah, parents and teachers would have a hard time finding anything to deal with Black people in the gaming community. Good luck to them. A Black Gaming site/forum could help lead them in the right direction if it's done properly though.

No it's not only for Black people. In the about section I'll write something about how it is was created to educate the world about Black contributions to the gaming industry. The world is pretty all-inclusive. For instance, say a White couple adopted a Black child and their child showed interest in having a career in the gaming industry. Some White couples make it an issue to let their kid know about Black history just like Black couples but they would not know where to look. It would take an effort to find that kid a role model that would describe their struggle in the industry. I say there would be a struggle in the industry because there usually is a struggle for anything Black people barely have a presence in. This isn't just a general statement I'm making. I'm serious. It's well-documented. Prejudice and racism still exists. So yeah, parents and teachers would have a hard time finding anything to deal with Black people in the gaming community. Good luck to them. A Black Gaming site/forum could help lead them in the right direction if it's done properly though.
That's good enough! Good! Very good!

You have some well-thought out intentions, and ideas. Very good.

If the site is predominantly English speaking, he's going to have issues reaching out to people who don't speak it primarily.
Predominantly, predominantly...everything's always predominantly: predominantly white, predominantly black. Well what about me, where does that leave me? Well I guess that I'm between predominantly both of'em.

Sorry, you just got me thinking about a song :eek:

If the site is predominantly English speaking, he's going to have issues reaching out to people who don't speak it primarily.
I'll do a wordpress that has a google translate widget first. Depending on the reactions I get then I'll probably go ahead and create the xenforo forum and link it to the wordpress, kind of like how my site is currently done with vbulletin.

If I were you and I'm serious about having a wordpress and a forum like xenforo, I would have two different domain names. Why? Because 50% of the time, your visitors skip right to the forum [if it is on a single domain] or stay on blog based around their personal choices - and perception of either one.

You have to decide what you want for each form of media: blog/forum.

But that's just me. I could go in detail but I don't think you want to read too much.

I'm mostly focusing on the main site. The XenForo forums will probably only have around 10 subforums that would cover the different platforms of gaming, a subforum with discussion about articles from the wordpress site, an off-topic forum and a subforum where gamers can trade links to their own sites and blogs. Race shouldn't be an issue for any of those subforums. The only time Race matters is in the Xenforo subforum with discussions about articles from the wordpress site because I'll only be covering articles about Blacks in the gaming industry.

I say, allow "non-blacks" to enter the site, just as LONG as respect is maintained between users.
That's good enough! Good! Very good!

You have some well-thought out intentions, and ideas. Very good.
Thanks! I don't know if it will take off or not but it's no big deal since a domain name only costs $30 and I already have a server. So if it completely fails, I won't miss that $30.

Erm, wouldn't that go completely against what the forum was about?

-----

Oh, and all that contrarian thinking stuff is just an excuse to justify a bonkers idea - IMHO.

If you can't tell us what the differences are between black gamers and non-black gamers, and what a black-exclusive gaming forum will do/offer/highlight/achieve - then I think you've got your answer!!

And as an aside - I though your 8th site was all about playing billiards/pool, and was completely thrown when you said further back in the thread that it was about copyright - talk about mixed-messages; the visuals with the 8-ball just do not say copyright to me at all ... :ROFLMAO:

Let's hope your black-gamers site doesn't make a similar faux pas with its message eh!! ;)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom