Big Boards?

Heyhey,

Just came across xen foro today and I must say I'm pretty amazed at what I see, a breath of fresh air amongst a set of tired forum software.

Just one question though, do we have any idea how the software will cope in a big board situation? The forum itself uses a fair bit of ajax and other javascript by the looks of things and I'm wondering what effect this would have on a forum with thousands of active users at any time?

Obviously there's no knowing *exactly* how it'll behave but it'd be interesting to know what has been implemented to prevent resource hogging by way of caching or other methods.

Heyhey,

Just came across xen foro today and I must say I'm pretty amazed at what I see, a breath of fresh air amongst a set of tired forum software.

Just one question though, do we have any idea how the software will cope in a big board situation? The forum itself uses a fair bit of ajax and other javascript by the looks of things and I'm wondering what effect this would have on a forum with thousands of active users at any time?

Obviously there's no knowing *exactly* how it'll behave but it'd be interesting to know what has been implemented to prevent resource hogging by way of caching or other methods.

When Ajax is used well it can actually reduce server load as it doesn't require a full page load to view the information and certain information can be left of page until needed also reducing the page size.

Kier and Mike have said since the beginning that XenForo is built with BIG in mind so I expect that it will do VERY VERY well..

When Ajax is used well it can actually reduce server load as it doesn't require a full page load to view the information and certain information can be left of page until needed also reducing the page size.

Kier and Mike have said since the beginning that XenForo is built with BIG in mind so I expect that it will do VERY VERY well..
Good point, just depends how the ajax behaves on times of heavy server usage. In the past I've seen all ajax elements disabled within the likes of vbulletin on very active forums as the JS behaves erratically when the site is slow.

Promising stuff, will be interesting to see how it performs on even bigger forums!

Good point, just depends how the ajax behaves on times of heavy server usage. In the past I've seen all ajax elements disabled within the likes of vbulletin on very active forums as the JS behaves erratically when the site is slow.

Indeed, it does all depend how well it is designed, the good news is with XenForo EVERYTHING has a failback method so in the event that JS does fail the board still works and this is great.

Did not know that, this is good news! Who needs other software now eh? It's already looking better than the competition in the alpha stages ;)
Ditto to that, thanks for starting this thread.
Indeed, it does all depend how well it is designed, the good news is with XenForo EVERYTHING has a failback method so in the event that JS does fail the board still works and this is great.
Was not aware of this either, thanks for bringing this to my attention

Top Bottom