Lack of interest Better Create Thread Page - Simplifying Posting Business

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

TheBigK

I've performed a basic search whether this has been suggested; but couldn't find any related thread. I've an idea for the create thread page which can simplify the thread creation process and make thread creation a cakewalk.

Problem: Traditionally, forums are divided into categories & sections. If user wants to post to a specific forum; he/she must navigate to that forum, click on 'Post Thread' button, enter correct title, descriptive text and press create thread button. On our forums, lot of people found this process bit confusing.

Possible & Beautiful Way (IMHO) way to fix this:

I think XF can make a difference by tweaking the process of thread creation by -

1. Displaying a single 'Create Thread' button visible on all the pages; say on the menu bar.
  2. Once user click on this 'create thread' button, he/she is directed to a page that presents a create thread page with -
  • Only the title field highlighted. User will first enter title. Other fields will be 'disabled' by default.
  • Once the title is entered, the system will determine the appropriate forum in the dropdown list. User can change it if the guess made by system is incorrect.
  • Then the user is presented with the regular 'body' field of the message, where he/she can enter the description.
  • If 'tags' functionality is supported, the system will auto-generate tags.
  • Hits 'Create Thread' button and is redirected to the newly created thread :)
Except the automatic guesswork, this approach is followed by lot of WordPress QnA themes. I think it would make XF quite awesome.
What say, people?

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
"Once the title is entered, the system will determine the appropriate forum in the dropdown list. User can change it if the guess made by system is incorrect."

I don't see how that would possibly work and can't imagine it'd get it right any more than selecting a forum at random unless you had some really clever AI training...

Well, I think the same way 'search' works here. You begin typing and the system determines keywords then compares them with keyword density from existing forums :cautious: and then selecting the appropriate forums. Of course, users will be able to select them through drop down; if the system isn't right.

lol I did something in my site like this (y)

check out the attachment to see my implementation :love:
1newthread.webp
when clicked a pop-up appears
2creat.webp
choose whatever forum you want to post in :)

Yeah. My idea is slightly different :) I'm quite sure the two magicians behind XF can come up with something even better ;)

Top Bottom