Problem: Traditionally, forums are divided into categories & sections. If user wants to post to a specific forum; he/she must navigate to that forum, click on 'Post Thread' button, enter correct title, descriptive text and press create thread button. On our forums, lot of people found this process bit confusing.
Possible & Beautiful Way (IMHO) way to fix this:
I think XF can make a difference by tweaking the process of thread creation by -
- Displaying a single 'Create Thread' button visible on all the pages; say on the menu bar.
- Once user click on this 'create thread' button, he/she is directed to a page that presents a create thread page with -
- Only the title field highlighted. User will first enter title. Other fields will be 'disabled' by default.
- Once the title is entered, the system will determine the appropriate forum in the dropdown list. User can change it if the guess made by system is incorrect.
- Then the user is presented with the regular 'body' field of the message, where he/she can enter the description.
- If 'tags' functionality is supported, the system will auto-generate tags.
- Hits 'Create Thread' button and is redirected to the newly created thread
What say, people?