Better Blogs [Deleted]

This addon was very ambitious and he tried to add alot to it as time went on. It's just some features broke, some very expensive features broke and some very basic features got left out (global RSS, latest blogs sidebar).

There are actually 3 widgets for the sidebar.

Screen Shot 2013-03-22 at 4.53.09 PM.webp

You can add to your Home Page the
  • Blogs with most entries
  • Newest blogs
  • Recent comments
It does require BD Widget add-on, since they were coded for that. Newest blogs is latest blogs. Is that what you need? It has been in the product for a while.

It is now because something happened to where no one could create an entry so I uninstalled it and now it won't reinstall.
Let me know if you are still having problems. I compiled "manual uninstallation" instructions for someone at one point, but that is kind of drastic.The lack of textfield sounds like a conflicting add-on, blogs only includes the stock editor that comes with XF.

There are actually 3 widgets for the sidebar.

View attachment 42483

You can add to your Home Page the
  • Blogs with most entries
  • Newest blogs
  • Recent comments
It does require BD Widget add-on, since they were coded for that. Newest blogs is latest blogs. Is that what you need? It has been in the product for a while.
Yeah for Xenporta or either as a part of the addon or an addon of the addon because I am not able to use BD Widget with Xenporta.

Rigel Kentaurus updated Better Blogs with a new update entry:

New Panel: Recently Updated Blogs

Changes
  • The sidebar for "New Blogs" was renamed to "Recently Created Blogs", since New was getting too confusing
  • Introducing a new sidebar for the home page: "Recently Updated Blogs"
  • Now all the sidebars appear on the homepage, if you wish to configure them, use BD Widget plugin to change the order of them, or remove them
  • Added compatibility to include the widgets in XenPorta
Reminder

The widgets available for the sidebar are

Read the rest of this update entry...

The privacy options don't work on my site.

If you make a blog "Members Only" or "People You Follow Only", it hides it completely... from everyone, including yourself.

Hey, congratulations, I see you are using custom domains again

The privacy option works, however, it is most likely that you are not logged in, and that is why it hides it completely (it is hiding it from visitors).

There is a "login" action, e.g.
http://dre-sage.8thos.com/blog/dre-sage.1/login

That will login you to that subdomain. Usually you just need to do that once, as long as you remember to set the $config['cookie']['domain'] on your config. If the cookie were already shared you wouldn't need to re-login

i) The breadcrumb bar (top and bottom) is too far to the right, ii) the background image/bar for blog title and date ("Fructose" in this example) doesn't align on the right hand side with the container, iii) the like ('nod' on my site) isn't placed/aligned correctly, and iv) the bottom of the blog entry container and the top of the user comment container clash and 'bleed' into each other.

Also, on the blog home is it possible to show the date/time of the entry (eg, next to the title, similar to how viewing the full entry does it)?

Thanks.

i) The breadcrumb bar (top and bottom) is too far to the right, ii) the background image/bar for blog title and date ("Fructose" in this example) doesn't align on the right hand side with the container, iii) the like ('nod' on my site) isn't placed/aligned correctly, and iv) the bottom of the blog entry container and the top of the user comment container clash and 'bleed' into each other.
The order of the elements is a little different I see

Your style seems to have changes in the PAGE_CONTAINER template of XenForo, you need to apply those same changes to the xfa_blog_PAGE_CONTAINER_normal template. The blogs use a custom template to enable the customized profiles. (The ability for users to change the background color, fonts, and other aspects of the profile).

If that is a feature that you don't wish to have you can always take the PAGE_CONTAINER template and copy the contents into the xfa_blog_PAGE_CONTAINER_normal template. You would loose the ability for the users to customize the blog,though.
Also, on the blog home is it possible to show the date/time of the entry (eg, next to the title, similar to how viewing the full entry does it)?

Thanks.

Yes, edit the template xfa_blog_home

And where you see this

Code:
<h3><a href="{xen:link xfa-blog-entry, $entryRow}">{$entryRow.title}</a></h3>

Change it to this

Code:
<h3>
<a href="{xen:link xfa-blog-entry, $entryRow}">{$entryRow.title}</a>
<span class="datetime muted"><xen:datetime time="{$entryRow.post_date}" /></span>
</h3>

Hey, congratulations, I see you are using custom domains again

The privacy option works, however, it is most likely that you are not logged in, and that is why it hides it completely (it is hiding it from visitors).

There is a "login" action, e.g.
http://dre-sage.8thos.com/blog/dre-sage.1/login

That will login you to that subdomain. Usually you just need to do that once, as long as you remember to set the $config['cookie']['domain'] on your config. If the cookie were already shared you wouldn't need to re-login
Wait... how can we make it so that if we are logged into the site and can post blogs, we can see other member's "Members Only" blogs?

Because when I did it, I was surely logged in. I even made an entry and I still couldn't see other "Members Only" blogs.

Wait... how can we make it so that if we are logged into the site and can post blogs, we can see other member's "Members Only" blogs?

Because when I did it, I was surely logged in. I even made an entry and I still couldn't see other "Members Only" blogs.
I took a quick look at your site, and I saw that the cookie is already coming as domain=.8thos.com
so that is set. But you might have a stale cookie.

Try the following

1) Logout
2) Clear all cookies
3) Login to the site
4) Go to a members only blog
5) It should open correctly and you should appear as logged in

Reactions: DRE
How do I add a bd widget like "Users Online" in Better Blogs with BD Widget?
Add the widget that you wish from

Appearance -> Add Widget
And in the "Position" use xfa_blog_home

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-29 at 1.36.42 AM.webp
    Screen Shot 2013-03-29 at 1.36.42 AM.webp
    45.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2013-03-29 at 1.36.49 AM.webp
    Screen Shot 2013-03-29 at 1.36.49 AM.webp
    38.8 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: DRE
I took a quick look at your site, and I saw that the cookie is already coming as domain=.8thos.com
so that is set. But you might have a stale cookie.

Try the following

1) Logout
2) Clear all cookies
3) Login to the site
4) Go to a members only blog
5) It should open correctly and you should appear as logged in
I tested it out with your directions and the "Members Only" function now works but the "People You Follow Only" lets any logged in member view.

http://ethos.8thos.com

Top Bottom