Beta 5

maybe do it the vb way and leave all the old packages available?
generality speaking, what would be nice is 3 different packages each update:
full install
full update
'since last' update

with all the old packages archived.

That would take some tracking at the development end wouldn't it? I'd rather have them work on features than worry about a few people who have modified their files on the server.

Why can't you track your own manual changes and re-apply them when you upgrade? (Since it's only going to be a very small minority of people who actually mess with the core files)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

That would take some tracking at the development end wouldn't it?
Not really, it could be built using a script that reads the output of a command to our source code repository... BUT it has the potential to be catastrophically damaging if a difference-only upgrade is uploaded over the wrong version - If you are on version x, the most recent release is x+3 and then we release x+4, along with an x+3 -> x+4 difference upgrade, but you upload the x+3 -> x+4 upgrade on top of your version x, you're going to have serious problems that are very very difficult to debug.

Sure, but what about when we reach 1.1.15? Are we then supposed to provide a package to allow people to update from 1.1.14, one for 1.1.13, one for 1.1.12, one for 1.1.11... ?
Nope, that would definitely be too time consuming. I was just saying that it would be nice if it were feasibly possible somehow.

i understand it could be a support issue.
perhaps 'hide' it in svn?
Not really, it could be built using a script that reads the output of a command to our source code repository... BUT it has the potential to be catastrophically damaging if a difference-only upgrade is uploaded over the wrong version - If you are on version x, the most recent release is x+3 and then we release x+4, along with an x+3 -> x+4 difference upgrade, but you upload the x+3 -> x+4 upgrade on top of your version x, you're going to have serious problems that are very very difficult to debug.

What about a system to "override" core files? File path / name / code to override / your code?

Would that solve it?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

The upgrade process is designed to be as easy as possible for the average user.

If someone is capable of modifying core files then presumably they are also capable of maintaining a list of those files and running a file compare on any new packages?

That seems far more logical to me than putting the onus on the average forum owner to identify which version they're running and download the correct upgrade version.

As has been pointed out on this thread and the other one, the potential for problems is significant.

I think one major thing folks are forgetting here is this still is in beta, so we all knew change could occur :

On the subject great freaking beta release, and amazing release time! I can't wait until the unforeseen circumstances drop(whenever that may be), especially if it leads to releases like this :)

Just noticed the new beta and will be upgrading soon. Seems to be some very nice new features in there, thanks again for all the hard work xenForo team. :)

Kier's point is great. Any other way will lead to massive issues. "I think I downloaded the wrong package and f'd up my board, can someone help me?"

maybe provide a list of the files that were changed since the last release? So if we edited a certain file, see that it hasnt been changed, we can leave that file out.

BTDT, already and it didn't help matters that a .htaccess file was not loaded. But thanks to Brogan and esp Brandt, it got fixed. They made suggestions based on my input that got the board all fixed.

Since the upgrade, in the Who's online page, Im getting this on some members detailed description of where they are...

Viewing unknown page

Gosh some people like to moan ... myself haven't found anything to moan about yet today besides the Caps collapse against India overnight :(

The upgrade process takes like 5 minutes or something equally small, so no biggie I would have thought. Try the hour plus it takes for another product.

On the subject of custom styles, can't quite work out why people think this is an issue, we have four (at last count) and haven't had a problem with an upgrade thus far.

Right this morning am in upgrade mode :) Six sites on my list .... may the Xen be with me.

Gosh some people like to moan ... myself haven't found anything to moan about yet today besides the Caps collapse against India overnight :(

The upgrade process takes like 5 minutes or something equally small, so no biggie I would have thought. Try the hour plus it takes for another product.

On the subject of custom styles, can't quite work out why people think this is an issue, we have four (at last count) and haven't had a problem with an upgrade thus far.

Right this morning am in upgrade mode :) Six sites on my list .... may the Xen be with me.

I don't see what all the fuss is either. If anything, I want the upgrade process to be made harder. Aren't we allowed atleast one sleepless night? Or at the very least like in the good ole days when your heart would start, then stop during an upgrade and having that tension ooze (hmmm oooze I'm now thinking of cake barefooting squashing now). Hmm yeah tension oooze over you. Let's make the upgrade harder, tension filled with ooozy cream cake filling, slowly stomping, and feeling the ooze squeeze between your toes. Sorry I'm being distracted.

I think my Facebook like/Recommend has disappeared from the threads. (Its on in the admin options)

(by think, I mean its not there anymore lol)

Anyone else?

Top Bottom