Beta 5

what would be great is if the only files in the update package were files that actually needed updating.
I'm too lazy to find the thread where that was suggested and for all the reasons why it would not work very well.
I believe the upgrade script removes unused files.

I'm too lazy to find the thread where that was suggested and for all the reasons why it would not work very well.
I believe the upgrade script removes unused files.
i still have to upload them and potentially overwrite files unnecessarily, such as tinymce customisations and the like.

which defeats the point of an update.
Not for custom style icons, logos, etc. it doesn't.

On the contrary it allows me to upgrade knowing that my graphics won't be overwritten and all I explicitly have to do is copy any changed icons from the default style.

I have a separate directory for my style so nothing ever gets overwritten.
Same for me.

Outdated templates?
I have some templates marked outdated that I never edited.
Shouldn't they be reverted automagically?
Probably be nice to have a red x on the outdated template page.

nevertheless, once xf goes gold many people are going to invest a lot of time in editing php, js, etc.
its not a very kind update that needlessly overwrites all those customisations.

nevertheless, once xf goes gold many people are going to invest a lot of time in editing php, js, etc.
spanking.gif

So assuming someone did edit a core .js file and that file was updated from Beta4 to Beta5 and hence needs to
overwrite the current file, exactly how would they avoid having to edit the file again after the upgrade?

It's up to add-ons and mods to work with the core software, not the other way around.

I really don't understand your point.

It's up to add-ons and mods to work with the core software, not the other way around..
That is why I left phpbb2. I got tired of editing php files with every update.
That is one thing nice about vBulletin. I never have to touch a php file.

So assuming someone did edit a core .js file and that file was updated from Beta4 to Beta5 and hence needs to
overwrite the current file, exactly how would they avoid having to edit the file again after the upgrade?

It's up to add-ons and mods to work with the core software, not the other way around.

I really don't understand your point.
you wouldnt avoid having to edit the file if it had changed.
you would avoid having to re-edit it if it hadnt.
if i could open the zip and see all the files i need to re-redit, thats great.
uploading 2000+ files and doing all the edits over again because they were overwritten for no reason? not so great.

It WOULD be nice for us to be able to choose "Full Download" or "Update Only", where "Update Only" contains only the files that were modified.
Sure, but what about when we reach 1.1.15? Are we then supposed to provide a package to allow people to update from 1.1.14, one for 1.1.13, one for 1.1.12, one for 1.1.11... ?

Top Bottom