1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 Best Process after Test Imports?

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by NickH, May 15, 2016.

1. NickH

NickH Member

I have done a test import from VB on my forum and I want to get plugins / addons installed and make the forum look great ready to go live.

Obviously as this is on a test location, I need to be able to re-run an import once I am ready to go live.

Is there a simple way to empty the forum ready to import again?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. NickH

NickH Member

Oh, so I will lose any modifications / addons I do? :notworthy:

I'll use this as a practise and then go live and import while it is closed!

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  4. Kintaro

Kintaro Well-Known Member

it would be awesome if was possible to repeat the import filtering only the new content! :

5. Kintaro

@Mike @Brogan @Chris D
    do you think is possibile to make an import, test it and personalize it and then truncate some db tables so the next import can be done without duplicating content but keeping the previous configuration/template/addons?

6. Brogan

It's not something we would recommend or be able to support.

7. Kintaro

it would be useful to know what db tables are touched during the import process :D

8. Brogan

Most of them.

9. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

You won't lose style modifications, you can export the style and then reimport it.

10. Kintaro

right, but I'm going to lose xenforo configuration.
    installing configuring and only after that importing is a "no go" because without some content the configuration can't be completed

knowing what tables to truncate before a re-import could be useful and cut migration time, what kind of problems could come up doing that?

11. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

Look into slaviks ghost.

12. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I have done this today for a very large site. It has some requirements but it is possible and not something I would recommend lightly.

13. Kintaro

Oh ok great!

Is it possible to have some more info about that?

I think that is a procedure that can help admins to limit downtime during migration to xenforo.

Is it far more complicated then truncate a precise list of db tables just before re-importing, leaving intact the ones that import doesn't touch?

Is there's the need to modify some other tables without truncate them?

14. Slavik

Nice big disclaimer

It requires some basic things, node mirroring from vBulletin to be maintained (no deleting or adding any on the test site) usergroup mirroring, but after you have set up your permissions, set your styles up and set up your options and addons which a) do not modify tables and b) you dont import any data into said addons.

Just re-run your import on a clean XenForo, dump out the required tables of data:

mysqldump database2 archived_import_log xf_conversation_master xf_conversation_message xf_conversation_recipient xf_conversation_user xf_deletion_log xf_edit_history xf_ip xf_liked_content xf_moderator_log xf_poll xf_poll_response xf_poll_vote xf_post xf_profile_post xf_report xf_report_comment xf_stats_daily xf_thread xf_thread_read xf_thread_user_post xf_thread_watch xf_user xf_user_authenticate xf_user_ban xf_user_external_auth xf_user_field_value xf_user_follow xf_user_ignored xf_user_option xf_user_privacy xf_user_profile xf_user_upgrade_active xf_user_upgrade_expired xf_user_upgrade_log xf_warning xf_warning_action_trigger xf_tag xf_tag_content > tables.sql

then bring them into your pre-configured board.

mysql -u USER -pPASS database1 < tables.sql

And rebuild all your caches and then import any addon data.

Alfa1 and Kintaro like this.
  15. Kintaro

Wow thank you Slavik! the only thing I didn't understood is the "mirroring" one.
    For mirroring do you mean that we have to:
    1. import nodes and usergroups maintaining the same IDs
    2. Don't modify them once imported
    This is true for other sources too or only for vbulletin?

16. Kintaro

Dont' try this at home!

is this wrong?
    1. fresh install xenforo
    2. import data from the existing vbulletin
    3. check the nodes and usergroups ids if are the same (is this correct?)
    4. don't install addons that change db tables from this list* (or only the nodes and usergroups tables?)
    5. don't import any data in addons
    6. configure xenforo without change (add/modify/delete) any nodes and usergroups and proceed to:
      1. configure xenforo options
      2. configure addons options
      3. customize style
      4. configure permissions
    7. fresh install another xenforo (called "bridge")
    8. import again from the source in the "bridge" installation (not configured)
    9. dump the tables on the list* with this** from the "bridge" db
    10. bring them in the "configured xenforo" with mysql -u USER -pPASS database1 < tables.sql
    before 10. I don't need to truncate that tables? the 10. will not duplicate content?

* db tables list:
    archived_import_log
    xf_conversation_master
    xf_conversation_message
    xf_conversation_recipient
    xf_conversation_user
    xf_deletion_log
    xf_edit_history
    xf_ip
    xf_liked_content
    xf_moderator_log
    xf_poll
    xf_poll_response
    xf_poll_vote
    xf_post
    xf_profile_post
    xf_report
    xf_report_comment
    xf_stats_daily
    xf_thread
    xf_thread_read
    xf_thread_user_post
    xf_thread_watch
    xf_user
    xf_user_authenticate
    xf_user_ban
    xf_user_external_auth
    xf_user_field_value
    xf_user_follow
    xf_user_ignored
    xf_user_option
    xf_user_privacy
    xf_user_profile
    xf_user_upgrade_active
    xf_user_upgrade_expired
    xf_user_upgrade_log
    xf_warning
    xf_warning_action_trigger
    xf_tag
    xf_tag_content

mysqldump database2 archived_import_log xf_conversation_master xf_conversation_message xf_conversation_recipient xf_conversation_user xf_deletion_log xf_edit_history xf_ip xf_liked_content xf_moderator_log xf_poll xf_poll_response xf_poll_vote xf_post xf_profile_post xf_report xf_report_comment xf_stats_daily xf_thread xf_thread_read xf_thread_user_post xf_thread_watch xf_user xf_user_authenticate xf_user_ban xf_user_external_auth xf_user_field_value xf_user_follow xf_user_ignored xf_user_option xf_user_privacy xf_user_profile xf_user_upgrade_active xf_user_upgrade_expired xf_user_upgrade_log xf_warning xf_warning_action_trigger xf_tag xf_tag_content > tables.sql

17. Kintaro

do you think is correct @Slavik or iii miss something?

I have some doubt only on step 3 and 4 (see previous message)

18. Slavik

Seems pretty right, your best bet is to have a play doing a few tests.

Kintaro likes this.
  19. Kintaro

sorry to bother you again but I have another question... do you think that can be possibile to export configuration options exporting and re-importing is in a brand new installation (with the same addon/nodes/usergroups)

20. andy_mk3

andy_mk3 New Member

The way I did it was set up my test forum 100% with everything ready. Then for the transfer, I started with a fresh install of XF, installed all mods and style alterations, go through all settings etc. Then when ready, closed my VB forums while I did the import, sorted out the usergroups to be XF friendly, scan through all the permissions and various other things. The switchover went with little issues at all.