1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best practice to import from vB4?

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by sweetpotato, May 4, 2013.

1. sweetpotato

sweetpotato Active Member

I am going to use xf for my live site. I have some question about importing:
    1. What I should do before importing (except backup my site of course) :D
    2. My vb4 site uses DbTech thank/like, how to import both thanks and likes?
    3. I am using import external image Mod and all those images are stored at domain/myimages folder in the root directory of Vb4 installed but XF will be installed on domain/forum. So the image folder will be: domain/forum/myimages. What to do to avoid image links broken?
    Thank for your help.

2. Paul

Paul Well-Known Member

hiay sweetpotato,
    I'm just going through the same as yourself. I have carried out a test import into a test board and all good. All ready to move other than the import of likes (see below)..
    To answer your questions...

1. Backup site (both db and Files). Warn/inform users etc
    2. See this thread http://xenforo.com/community/threads/vb4-importer.36391/page-8#post-532310 (towards the end are the key edits to allow import of Thanks. Likes are not supported yet... However hopefully Jake may well advise...:) )
    3. I'm using the same (Would love a similar mod to be available here. have requested it here... http://xenforo.com/community/threads/importing-external-images.46556/) However with regards to current attachments, you will be prompted to input a link to the images folder if required...

So basically set up a test board and do a couple of test imports to get the add-ons required all working together and themes etc sorted. once you have this done, remove everything, start afresh with a new install, and move the board over :)

Paul

sweetpotato likes this.
  3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

14DH01 likes this.
  4. 14DH01

14DH01 Active Member

backups
    I converted my forum vbulletin 4.1 but before I disable all add-ons and disabled the htaccess file

sweetpotato likes this.
  5. sweetpotato

Thank your for your help. I thinh I will need some days or some weeks to complete the move :D

6. sweetpotato

Hello,
    Just started importing. There are some issues I have:
    1. Attachment cannot import?
    2. Like from DBTech thank/like did not import, thanks were imported.
    3. the forum path changed from domain.com/ to domain.com forum so links to images i stored in imported images broken.
    Please help me, I will make Xenforo go live soon.
    Thanks,

7. 14DH01

14DH01 Active Member

8. sweetpotato

Hi! I have done your trick but it did not import avatar and attachment though the import tool found the path. Try the full path also but no luck.

9. sweetpotato

Just finished the import. Attachments, avatars have been imported. Youtube and allmost other BBcodes are broken.
    Can I uninstall the import addon now?

10. 14DH01

14DH01 Active Member

sweetpotato likes this.
  11. sweetpotato

Thank you for your kind support, 14DH01. You help me so much

14DH01 likes this.