Add-on Best Gallery plugin?

Robby

Hello guys,

What is the best gallery plugin out there for soon to be big forum?
Can users tell me the pro or cons from the plugins that are avilable?
I need one for my members where i can limit the amount...

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-gallery-options-xen-media-gallery-vrs-xengallery.62751/

It has been discussed a few times before. Basically, I'd recommend looking at the feature lists and seeing which one suits you the most. Both are actively developed.
Do note that this thread was started nearly 2 months ago and things have developed for both galleries. XenMediaGallery is about to have a major update to 2.0 (currently in beta, hopefully out fairly shortly) and this adds a lot of features that it didn't have at the time that thread was written. XenGallery has also had some updates since then with additional features. So don't just judge the two by this thread, as @oman says, look at the feature lists of both. You can also visit the sites of both to see what they are like and to test out (if you register).

Xen Media Gallery - resource and website
XenGallery - resource and website

both galleries are equally good.... the only deciding factor for me would be the UI. Although i like XMG very much for its functionalities (there are tons of it) i am not liking its UI... i realized XG would have suited me better...

So you might also want to consider this as well...

Do note that this thread was started nearly 2 months ago and things have developed for both galleries. XenMediaGallery is about to have a major update to 2.0 (currently in beta, hopefully out fairly shortly) and this adds a lot of features that it didn't have at the time that thread was written. XenGallery has also had some updates since then with additional features. So don't just judge the two by this thread, as @oman says, look at the feature lists of both. You can also visit the sites of both to see what they are like and to test out (if you register).

Xen Media Gallery - resource and website
XenGallery - resource and website

Oh yeah, definitely. Good point. Just one of the short discussions I remembered.

They both have demo sites. So login and play around with them. I have both.

XenGallery is currently the best one. XenMediaGallery might challenge that when 2.0 is out though.

Can you explain me why Xengallery is the best one plz?
The best gallery was XFR User Albums with XFR User Albums More, which was a free gallery.
XenGallery did everything that free gallery did plus more. XMG doesn't have user albums yet.

I am probably going to convert over to XMG though because I want my home page to look like this:

View attachment 64029
That's rather presumptuous. You have made a suggestion to that effect, but I'm not likely to be including anything like that in 2.0.

2.0 is currently feature locked and likely released within the next week or so. I'm currently focusing on importers. Xen Medio Free and XFR User Albums importer is done. I'm likely going to aim to have XenGallery, vBulletin and IPB Gallery importers in 2.0.1 / 2.1 (whichever comes first depending on what features follow the 2.0 release).

XMG doesn't have user albums yet.
@Robby Whereas DRE is correct, 2.0 is due for release, as I say, in the next week or so. It's currently installed at http://xenmediagallery.com.

Here's the full change log from 1.X:

http://xenmediagallery.com/threads/xen-media-gallery-2-0-change-log.537/

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM. And thanks for the Birthday message :)

Hmm maybe.

The home page block you see at http://xenmediagallery.com is a configurable slider. It's called Bx Slider. In theory if you hacked some stuff out of the templates then the slider wouldn't load and then you'd be left with an array of data, which I guess you could style how you like.

So, I apologise, a look like that would probably be possible with a bit of leg work. And of course the suggestion is there for consideration in the future :)

Reactions: DRE
In mobile view, I prefer how the videos look in XMG over how the videos look in XG. (cause it includes the title)
I just tested this.
Thanks, you are right, in mobile XMG looks better.
So for the moment in favor of XMG, waiting for the launch.

I just tested this.
Thanks, you are right, in mobile XMG looks better.
So for the moment in favor of XMG, waiting for the launch.
I also asked @sonnb to add titles to videos. I think he ignored me though. I probably sound like a demanding customer to both Chris and sonnb but my issue is that when in desktop view, some video thumbnails are really bad and a lot of guests won't even bother clicking on a video if they don't know what it is or what's about because it lacks a title. If you visit non-xenforo sites like www.cnn.com or www.ign.com all their pics and videos have a title associated with it which is usually also associated with a news article, blog, video or gallery.

Last edited:
Top Bottom