Add-on Best Gallery plugin?

I also asked @sonnb to add titles to videos. I think he ignored me though. I probably sound like a demanding customer to both Chris and sonnb but my issue is that when in desktop view, some video thumbnails are really bad and a lot of guests won't even bother clicking on a video if they don't know what it is or what's about because it lacks a title. If you visit non-xenforo sites like www.cnn.com or www.ign.com all their pics and videos have a title associated with it which is usually also associated with a news article, blog, video or gallery.
@DRE im curious why or if you moved away from xenmedio or whatever its called? i also have Jaxels medio plugin and soonb gallery. based on reviews your included i have not imported my videos in to the gallery and simply stuck with xen medio for our video needs..

@DRE im curious why or if you moved away from xenmedio or whatever its called? i also have Jaxels medio plugin and soonb gallery. based on reviews your included i have not imported my videos in to the gallery and simply stuck with xen medio for our video needs..
Several reasons:

1.) Extra Permissions. I've asked @Jaxel for this several times. XenMedio does not allow members to hide certain videos from guests (aka User Album permissions). Xenmedio doesn't even have categories that have usergroup permissions.

2.) XenMedio requires XenPorta in order to use the widgets. There are limited configuration options for these widgets and you can only place them on certain pages. You cannot place XenMedio widgets on other pages other than forums, threads and portal. The BD Widget made for XenMedio is not configurable. It's based off the admincp settings for XenMedio home page.

3.) The desire to integrate both images/albums/video in the same section. Both galleries do this.

4.) The desire to only use BD Widget to handle widgets. I have uninstalled Xenporta long ago and XenMedio is the only addon by Jaxel I have left to uninstall. Just waiting for the latest versions of XenGallery and XenMediaGallery to see if I can customize them to look like that CNN screenshot on my main page.

Last edited:
Basically, XenMediaGallery is more flexible for global use and categories. It's less complicated. XenGallery is more complicated and has more options for User Galleries. I like that sonnb added all those options for the user galleries but the lack of a single pictures on the index and titles under or over the video thumbnails and even a widget with both video and images and the fact that he refuses to add categories for individual videos is what's gonna make me convert over to XMG. I love both galleries equally but for my needs I require certain features when you get down to the nitty gritty of it. I don't regret buying both either.

and the fact that he refuses to add categories for individual videos is what's gonna make me convert over to XMG.
^^^This is the main reason why I deleted my videos after importing to XenGallery. I'm going to import XenMedio to XenMediaGallery instead. I found that after I imported I could not find stuff as easy as before. Categorizing individual videos is HUGELY important and could piss off your members once you take that feature away.

Thank you for your explanation it was actually very helpful.. I would also like to move away from xenmedio but ive yet to find a proper replacement in regards to any of the gallery solutions.. Frankly my members dont care but i do have a compulsive need to keep things as uniform as possible so something is gonna have to give eventually.

Thank you for your explanation it was actually very helpful.. I would also like to move away from xenmedio but ive yet to find a proper replacement in regards to any of the gallery solutions.. Frankly my members dont care but i do have a compulsive need to keep things as uniform as possible so something is gonna have to give eventually.
XenMedioGallery will let you import media, comments, categories, likes and keywords (tags). You don't have to import the keywords. I won't be importing the keywords because alot of keywords that XenMedio imported from YouTube is spammy garbage. So I will skip that step and will just create tags on my own later. The XenGallery importer for XenMedio only lets you import media, comments and likes and it will only put them in your albums as new albums. It won't import them to existing global albums. It does not import categories or keywords (tags). I've asked sonnb about categories, he said no. I don't care about the tags so I didn't ask him about that.

I also asked @sonnb to add titles to videos. I think he ignored me though. I probably sound like a demanding customer to both Chris and sonnb but my issue is that when in desktop view, some video thumbnails are really bad and a lot of guests won't even bother clicking on a video if they don't know what it is or what's about because it lacks a title. If you visit non-xenforo sites like www.cnn.com or www.ign.com all their pics and videos have a title associated with it which is usually also associated with a news article, blog, video or gallery.
In the next update, you can view title if you uncheck this option.

upload_2014-1-3_13-14-32.webp

XMG's widgets are configurable by editing the templates themselves and changing the variables. So I guess we can just create a custom template block and enter the xmg code there.

XenGallery comes with widgets we can configure but none of them include videos. That's coming later.

Looks like another huge difference is that XenGallery has a masonry format (the wider the windows, the more videos expand to fill up a row) and that it has infinite scroll (no pagination required to view more albums).

XenMediaGallery is old school pagination.

Reactions: rdn
XenMediaGallery is old school uses pagination.
Corrected that you.

'Old school' means 'Old fashioned' and pagination most certainly isn't this. Many websites use pagination and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

You may not like it compared to masonry and infinite scroll. Personally I like the uniform look and pagination and can't stand masonry and infinite scroll. So let's not start inaccurately labelling layout styles based on personal preferences. :)

Corrected that you.

'Old school' means 'Old fashioned' and pagination most certainly isn't this. Many websites use pagination and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

You may not like it compared to masonry and infinite scroll. Personally I like the uniform look and pagination and can't stand masonry and infinite scroll. So let's not start inaccurately labelling layout styles based on personal preferences. :)
Nowhere in my post did I say I didn't like it so calm down. Check this out though.

As much as I like XenGallery, my users were very confused at how to add media again because they were so used to XenMedio. I tried several different ways to make it easier to add videos in XenGallery and that didn't go over well. I got impatient in waiting for the update to XenGallery that would let us show both latest pics and videos on the main page so I've imported my gallery from XenGallery to XenMediaGallery. My users now find it easier to add media to the gallery. @Chris Deeming was wise to put the 'Add Media' button on every page (thank you!) and the UI was simple enough that I don't even need screenshots for my Gallery help thread. I've only had to make a couple changes. Only thing I'm missing so far is a comments sidebar widget and a way to move videos from albums to categories.

Last edited:
I bought Gallery way back when it was first released for public . Been watching it every day growing into better gallery add-on and impressed how much work was put into it . I am still waiting for only one feature or someone to tell me how much would it take /cost to implement that feature .

Thanks @Chris Deeming

Click here for Suggestion link

Top Bottom