Add-on Best Chat for Xenforo 1.4.2

Delly

I'm looking into adding a chat box into my forum. In viewing what's available, I'm seeing Cometchat, Arrowchat, and Taigachat as being the three best. However, all of the threads that I can find are nearly a year old. Is there a chat option that works quite nicely with Xenforo 1.4.2?

Thank you for suggestions (y)

Here are my questions that might help determine what I need:
  • I want the chatbox to be only viewable by certain members
  • I would like it to be in the sidebar
  • Is there a way to get notifications for when someone has posted something in the chatbox?
  • All I need is something simple but functions in real time.
  • A few smiley's would be nice :D
  • Free would be great if it works. But, I don't mind paying a little if it will help things.
  • Which ones work BEST with Xenforo?
  • Easy install and setup would be nice... No pulling of hair needed :eek:

I am using both taiga chat and comet chat. They both serve different purposes on my forum. Comet chat allows one to one chat and chat rooms. Comet chat also allows you to choose which usergroup can use the chat. Comet chat is very simple to install but have quite some settings that you can set including themes. It also comes with modules. Taiga chat is kind of like shoutbox, it doesn't have chat rooms capability or one to one chat capability.

cometchat has no user group permissions at all. if you think that it has then you should reexamine it.

So, if I want to allow for one-on-one chat AND group chat, I shouldn't use Taigachat? Are there others that allow for both of these features?

You are right, because like I mentioned taiga chat is more like a shoutbox or one whole general chat room for members (depending on which user group permission you allowed to use the chat). Whereas comet chat is more like facebook chat, can be 1-on-1 or group, online offline statuses. You would better off use comet chat if that's what you want. For only $49 you get lots of features and can upgrade to higher plans to get more features.

I believe arrow chat is the greatest alternative. I did an extensive research on this when I wanted to get a chat for my site. I was only able to shortlist arrow chat and comet chat after comparing. I don't really like arrowchat. So i opted for comet chat and it is indeed what I need.

I believe arrow chat is the greatest alternative. I did an extensive research on this when I wanted to get a chat for my site. I was only able to shortlist arrow chat and comet chat after comparing. I don't really like arrowchat. So i opted for comet chat and it is indeed what I need.
Why did you not like Arrowchat? I'm looking for a fairly reasonably priced chat. It would be nice to have a free one but that's not looking possible. Then, I have to figure out how to get everything up on my forum. I'm still trying to wrestle with uploading my logo. :notworthy:

Haha, I don't quite remember what I don't like about arrowchat, but it's always individual thing. ;) One thing you want to note is that arrowchat works on mobile browser (means you can access the chat through mobile web) but $49 comet chat doesn't (though there's an app for it). Compare them yourself and see which one suits you better. You also wanna consider the video chat capability if that's what you want too.

OK... If I use the free version of Taigachat, that would work for group settings. I'm already in a forum that uses that one so I get how that would work. I may go ahead for now and once the need arises, upgrade to something like Cometchat. The ONLY thing that I don't like about Taigachat is that it won't alert you to when someone has posted something in the chat box. Plus, I want it on the sidebar, not at the bottom of the forum. Is that possible? And, where are the extremely good "instructions for dummies" on getting the chats to work in my forum?

I know this involves uploading things onto my server via FileZilla and putting it somewhere. I have a folder on my server called "uploads" so I assume that's where I put it. But, what I don't get is how you actually go into the forum itself and make the thing work. I'm a WordPress user and all I have to do is upload a plugin and it works. That obviously isn't the case here...

You also wanna consider the video chat capability if that's what you want too.
Not sure that I want to do that for my site. I'm actually OK for the group chat only at this point. Again, I may upgrade to something for private chat later.

I'm a WordPress user and all I have to do is upload a plugin and it works. That obviously isn't the case here...
Oh... did I mention that there's an "app" for that? It seems like there's an app for everything. Too funny.... o_O I wish there was an app for grading papers. :sleep:

Install [bd] widget framework addon to be able to put taiga chat on the sidebar. Or on the top before forum node list.

Almost everything about xenforo or its addons is easy, you just need to spend more time explorin, learning and managing your forum if you're serious about having a forum. I barely ask questions when I first set up my forum mainly because learning the basic things on your own help you remember better on how the forum operates. You gotta put in some patience in learning otherwise there's no point. Xenforo documentation, existing questions posted on this forum and addons' installation instructions are all there for you. This is my advice for you. You can then come up with more specific questions when you're facing issues.

Works for me... I do know how to use this forum format because I've used a Xenforo forum for two years. However, I'm not the administrator so this is a whole new ballgame! What I'm learning is all the design stuff specifically for Xenforo. Yes, all the information is there but sometimes, it's hard to find. If you don't know what to enter into the search box (specific terminology), then it's a fishing expedition into what you're looking for. (I'll take a Chinook salmon, please.) I did that for nearly a half hour before posting this thread.

I'm a teacher so I understand the patience part.... :confused:

Install [bd] widget framework addon to be able to put taiga chat on the sidebar. Or on the top before forum node list.
I think that I'll stick to the sidebar widget. I want people to see it when they enter into the private sections of the forum.

Okay make sense, I'm fine helping you but you need to ask specific questions or if you want me to login on behalf of you to deal with specific things. Send me a pm if you would like help. But I'm going offline now and will only be able to reply you hours later! Have a nice day ahead!

Okay make sense, I'm fine helping you but you need to ask specific questions or if you want me to login on behalf of you to deal with specific things. Send me a pm if you would like help. But I'm going offline now and will only be able to reply you hours later! Have a nice day ahead!
Thank you! (y)

Here is an overview of possible chat software: http://www.vb-commercial.com/index.php?action=displaycat&catid=9
I created that site long ago, so its somewhat outdated. Though there has not been much change in the chat software industry. Even though I created the overview for vbulletin, most of the listed software also has XF integration. TBH I have not found anything modern and quality at the same time. Its either modern OR quality. Never both.

EDIT: I see that 123Flashchat has released something new, but their prices are mind blowing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom