Add-on Best Chat for Xenforo 1.4.2

Lastly... once I choose a specific chat, are there some really good instructions that can tell me how to add it to my forum? The user manual often seems to assume you know some of the basic steps. But, when you don't, the instructions in the manual don't help.

For example, I need to know how to upload an addon and then once that's done, making it active in the correct places. I assume this will involve using the FTP and getting everything in my c-panel for my hosting company and then directing the path from the site to that folder. But, I've yet to figure out how to do that.

The first thing to ask any chat software vendor is if there is a plugin for xenforo and if there are true usergroup permissions. Most software simply hides the visibility but loads the chat functionality for all users. Which is very problematic in terms of server strain and security.

The first thing to ask any chat software vendor is if there is a plugin for xenforo and if there are true usergroup permissions. Most software simply hides the visibility but loads the chat functionality for all users. Which is very problematic in terms of server strain and security.
Do Cometchat and Arrowchat work well with Xenforo? What about Taigachat? I know it's only a group chat but I may do this at first until I need to upgrade to something more private.

I use Arrowchat and it works well on my site. It's set so that only full members can see and use it.

Im in doubt of having chat on my site. What is the value for your user/member? I have used taigachat but if i choose a other chatsystem it would be arrowchat.

But the question is.....does a chat really add significant value to your forum and keep users and members posting to the forums?

That depends on your site. A chat can be detrimental and supplemental to your site. Its not a set and forget thing. The downside of chat is that it can take activity away from your forum. This is especially the case for general chat forums. If used well then it can increase site activity and thereby your forum. This is especially the case for activity oriented sites (writers, gamers, etc)

That depends on your site. A chat can be detrimental and supplemental to your site. Its not a set and forget thing. The downside of chat is that it can take activity away from your forum. This is especially the case for general chat forums. If used well then it can increase site activity and thereby your forum. This is especially the case for activity oriented sites (writers, gamers, etc)

Thanks. So if i'm correct. Gamesites etc chat is used often. What in case of a Business oriented forum for sme Businesses [Dutch]?

If the chat is framed with a specific purpose, for example for to contact suppliers or clients (like on alibaba) then it would be beneficial.

If the chat is framed with a specific purpose, for example for to contact suppliers or clients (like on alibaba) then it would be beneficial.

2 purposes. 1st purpose is to chat with all my/our employees within the forum [instead of slack.com]
2nd purpose is for certain membergroups or maybe only for guests

Employee chat can be very useful. But you will need a good mobile solution for that. Something with an app.

Taigachat seems to be the only chat with good integration (real usergroup permissions). However, taigachat is more of a shoutbox with limited functionality.
If you have a website with a low number of active users then Arrowchat and the full featured Cometchat would probably be a good option. At that level of user activity it will not cripple your server.A footer chat bar works very well with a forum.

I think that the best chat for xenforo still has to be built.

Hello all,
I purchased Arrowchat in November, but now am having issues with speeds and many bugs.
I am wondering if anyone's used cometchat and how they found it? It seems to be excellent.. but the reviews.. Hmm

Has anyone found a good solution for a chatroom software with videochat capability?

I am wondering if anyone's used cometchat and how they found it? It seems to be excellent.. but the reviews.. Hmm
Cometchat functionality is better than Arrowchat. But there are massive problems. Ask yourself: why doesnt cometchat have a forum or public bug tracker anymore? Why is there no cometchat entry in the resource manager here? You would think they would like to have sales from xenforo webmasters.

I have been using cometchat for years. Or at least I have tried. It lacks xenforo usergroup permissions and makes 2 calls / pings over the network to the server for every online user. I mostly have 3-10k users online so thats 6-20k pings per second. This is basically a DDoS on the chat server and also on the PUSH network. Pubnub (PUSH network) banned me originally, until I explained the issue.
And then there are the issues of guests loading cometchat functions, many functions not working well. If you need chat logs to deal with member issues then forget it: turning on the function is a kill switch for your website.
Lack of permissions had banned members trolling the chat constantly. They could just get into the webapp or even fake they were someone else by changing the url.

I have tried to work with their developers. Its complete madness and I rather have no chat and have my members be angry at me, than dealing with utterly insane Indian tech support for months. You never know who you are talking to because they all use the same name. No one knows what the last person has done or even what your exact problem is. I have been running around in circles for year, while frequently crashing my whole site.

I paid $500 for the development of essential xenforo functions but these were never delivered.

All in all I really hope that Cometchat will do a full rewrite of their product and include the needed xenforo integration. Cometchat has very cool features. But it needs work.

Cometchat functionality is better than Arrowchat. But there are massive problems. Ask yourself: why doesnt cometchat have a forum or public bug tracker anymore? Why is there no cometchat entry in the resource manager here? You would think they would like to have sales from xenforo webmasters.

I have been using cometchat for years. Or at least I have tried. It lacks xenforo usergroup permissions and makes 2 calls / pings over the network to the server for every online user. I mostly have 3-10k users online so thats 6-20k pings per second. This is basically a DDoS on the chat server and also on the PUSH network. Pubnub (PUSH network) banned me originally, until I explained the issue.
And then there are the issues of guests loading cometchat functions, many functions not working well. If you need chat logs to deal with member issues then forget it: turning on the function is a kill switch for your website.
Lack of permissions had banned members trolling the chat constantly. They could just get into the webapp or even fake they were someone else by changing the url.

I have tried to work with their developers. Its complete madness and I rather have no chat and have my members be angry at me, than dealing with utterly insane Indian tech support for months. You never know who you are talking to because they all use the same name. No one knows what the last person has done or even what your exact problem is. I have been running around in circles for year, while frequently crashing my whole site.

I paid $500 for the development of essential xenforo functions but these were never delivered.

All in all I really hope that Cometchat will do a full rewrite of their product and include the needed xenforo integration. Cometchat has very cool features. But it needs work.

Oh ****!!
Well I am glad you wrote this, I have my suspicions judging by their lack of input here and mostly their reviews online.
But it's mixed results. Some say it's excellent, some say avoid..
Overall most say it is a resource hog, buggy and glitchy but then also some say the latest version is good and fixes the patches!

I am so glad you wrote this Alfa as I was very likely to spend the 500USD (£350) for it!!
I will definitely avoid this.. Until I know that YOU are 100% (or at least 95% lol) happy.

Blast... Back to the drawing board..
What sold it for me mainly is HTML5 video calling, which as you know, is iOS compatible..
Damnit.

Thank you for this!

Top Bottom