Best Cache partner for Zend OPcache

Marcus

There are two kind of caches, from what I know, ZEND Opcache which is delivered with PHP 5.5 caches one of the two cache types. I used APC which can cache both categories. Now with Opcache, I want to have some tool helping me caching the other category. What do you recommend?

hello, the same question i have aked in the support system here. mike told me, that memcache works good. i have installed it and i am happy with opcache+memcache.

Zend optimizer + has been made open source and is now a part of the latest release which they now call zend opcode. Please ask yourself a question : Had it been a good product would it not sell? If it was selling well why make it opensource? I dont know what went on behind the scene but I am still clueless why shun apc for zend optimizer. APC at the moment is miles ahead of zend.

APC with 5.3 would do a better job any day. I have an instance of 5.5 running with zend opcode and I have spent weeks doing different things and my conclusion is that its not time yet to move to a newer version of php. If you have the expertise to squeez out what you want from 5.5 then by all means :) Dont forget to share the outcome here. I would love to hear.

Zend optimizer + has been made open source and is now a part of the latest release which they now call zend opcode. Please ask yourself a question : Had it been a good product would it not sell? If it was selling well why make it opensource? I dont know what went on behind the scene but I am still clueless why shun apc for zend optimizer. APC at the moment is miles ahead of zend.

APC with 5.3 would do a better job any day. I have an instance of 5.5 running with zend opcode and I have spent weeks doing different things and my conclusion is that its not time yet to move to a newer version of php. If you have the expertise to squeez out what you want from 5.5 then by all means :) Dont forget to share the outcome here. I would love to hear.

Zend Optimizer was/is a fantastic product, and top of my head was anything upto 30% faster than APC out the box.

Honestly I think using Zend Optimiser in the PHP core over APC is a fantastic move.

The major draw back I find with zend opcode is that it would refresh itself once the memory is full unlike apc. Please correct me if I am wrong. APC on the other hand would give you a more consistant performance by reusing sectors which zend cant do from what I understand. Also apc does a lot more then just opcode cache.
Another major + with APC is that for people like me who cannot afford a big box, it would achieve a lot more with lesser amount of memory in use as opposed to zend. I am still learning though. It would be great if you could explain if this is not the case.

I must admit that my perspective might be a little different when I say fast and consistant etc. I have Google bot in mind while doing anything and the time it would take for Google bots to download a page. Google likes pages that do not fluctuate and zend defeates that purpose. Real users may not notice it but when zend refreshes its memory there will be a delay in downloading pages for search engine bots and it is a factor in ranking.

IIRC Zend Optimizer has a setting which would define cache resets, which was linked to how many hits and misses in the cache it got.

Yours was probably set too agressively.

I've been using Redis, with my addon which implements proper multiGet pipelining (bit of a hack how it is injected).

Being able to save and reload your cache state really is handy. I've been meaning to get working the multi-redis instance support in the underlying library I'm using.

One of the biggest features of memcached is that it does not have to be limited to your one server instance. I have 4 instances being shared amongst 6 sites, with 4 of the sites being set up for the local instance and the other 3 remote instance and the other 2 using the 4 remote instances.

One thing I'm seeing is that APCu is getting slightly more cache requests per second than memcached was getting.

Last edited:
Here are some data from using memcached on my server one day and APCu another. It's not quite apples to apples given the different duration of each as well as different time of day, but some may find it interesting. I'm using Opcache with PHP 5.4.

16449230186_5e751682f5_o.png

16497307375_d11318853c_o.png

I was previously using ngx_pagespeed with memcached on it, that's why :)
It's consuming almost 6GB from ngx_pagespeed alone :D

I'm just trying to understand why you have 125,764 items and 622MB in memcached. Do you have sites other than your Pinoy Latest Technology Forums on your server?

Gotcha. I wish I had a better understanding of types of cache and whether the numbers I'm seeing are reasonable for what I'm doing or whether there are items I should be caching that I am not.

Top Bottom