Implemented "Best answer" function.

bookmark

Typically,many users will create a thread to ask some questions and others will answer with posts.This is very popular in many forums.
I need the "Best answer" button in every following post and the thread creator could choose which would be the best answer for him.
It will more efficient if other users have similar question and they can find the answers quickly.

I don't know whether I states clearly.;)

Upvote 52
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I definitely think this is best-suited as an add-on, as not all forums follow a (or intend to be in) question-and-answer format.

I definitely think this is best-suited as an add-on, as not all forums follow a (or intend to be in) question-and-answer format.
According to my experience,the best answer system will be used in most forum if not all of them.We'd better integrate it to platform even though it sounds like a add-on.
Any way it's not a difficult project and only a icon marked to the post which is the best answer for the topic.

Could the like system be used in this? I personally think this is for a plugin.

Would agree. Can also see tech sites wanting a "thread resolved" button, on my talkie site neither would be used and we would probably spend some time hunting down the options to remove them from the templates. Once again falling into the old upgrade hell we currently have ... and we ain't a heavily modified board.

Would agree. Can also see tech sites wanting a "thread resolved" button, on my talkie site neither would be used and we would probably spend some time hunting down the options to remove them from the templates. Once again falling into the old upgrade hell we currently have ... and we ain't a heavily modified board.

I imagine with the use of [stylevars] this would be possible.

A large proportion of discussions relate to problem solving. And a huge benefit of having a forum is the archive of discussions which act as a useful resource for people.
When people come to forums, we encourage them not to post the same old questions again and again, but rather use the search facility to find existing threads. The reader will then be focussing on finding the best answer to that question.

With these facts in mind, having a thread where the best answer is easily accessible is a very useful feature. The first post has the question. The reply voted the best answer is then displayed immediately beneath (perhaps expanded via a nice ajax widget). It saves an enormous amount of time for people wanting to find the solution to their problem. Your forum immediately becomes a much more accessible resource.

The problem is identifying the threads which actually have a question and which are appropriate to display the best answer. There are many examples of threads where it is not appropriate. How do we decide? Do we have it as an option for the thread owner?

Also how do you calculate the best answer? Maybe someone replies with one answer which gets 20 'likes' and then someone replies with a better answer which has only 10 because it has had few views being newer. So maybe a more intelligent algorithm is needed which takes into account the proportion of likes to views?

Should we even use the 'like' system? We could 'like' a reply for many reasons, not necessarily because we think it's the best answer. Maybe it's particularly witty.

Lots of questions making a good 'best answer' system potentially quite complex.

However, this is functionality which I have been considering for AVForums for some time as it is clearly extremely beneficial.

A large proportion of discussions relate to problem solving. And a huge benefit of having a forum is the archive of discussions which act as a useful resource for people.
When people come to forums, we encourage them not to post the same old questions again and again, but rather use the search facility to find existing threads. The reader will then be focussing on finding the best answer to that question.

With these facts in mind, having a thread where the best answer is easily accessible is a very useful feature. The first post has the question. The reply voted the best answer is then displayed immediately beneath (perhaps expanded via a nice ajax widget). It saves an enormous amount of time for people wanting to find the solution to their problem. Your forum immediately becomes a much more accessible resource.

The problem is identifying the threads which actually have a question and which are appropriate to display the best answer. There are many examples of threads where it is not appropriate. How do we decide? Do we have it as an option for the thread owner?

Also how do you calculate the best answer? Maybe someone replies with one answer which gets 20 'likes' and then someone replies with a better answer which has only 10 because it has had few views being newer. So maybe a more intelligent algorithm is needed which takes into account the proportion of likes to views?

Should we even use the 'like' system? We could 'like' a reply for many reasons, not necessarily because we think it's the best answer. Maybe it's particularly witty.

Lots of questions making a good 'best answer' system potentially quite complex.

However, this is functionality which I have been considering for AVForums for some time as it is clearly extremely beneficial.
Hei guy,let make things easy.
The best doesn't refer to perfect.We give the thread creator the power to select the post which helps him resolve the problem as the best answers.Having no relationship with the quantity of the "like"."like system" and "best answer system" have different functions.The best answer system shouldn't apply to all kinds of thread but "like system" shoud.
For example,User A create a thread "One error occur when I install Xen" and User A can select the post resolved his problem.

Hei guy,let make things easy.
The best doesn't refer to perfect.We give the thread creator the power to select the post which helps him resolve the problem as the best answers.Having no relationship with the quantity of the "like"."like system" and "best answer system" have different functions.The best answer system shouldn't apply to all kinds of thread but "like system" shoud.
For example,User A create a thread "One error occur when I install Xen" and User A can select the post resolved his problem.
Well the only problem with that is getting the OPs to actually pick the best answer. I can imagine in most circumstances, they get their answer and move on. Maybe in an email notification update without even returning to their thread.

I suppose we could encourage it by giving a trophy point when they pick a best answer.

Great points Stuart.

Perhaps the top 10% of the answers might be a better approach if absolute accuracy is desired, or top 3 answers, or sorting by best answers, or, or, or... or how about this general approach:

Question: what Panasonic plasma tv consumes less that 300 watts? (I don't care how big it is)

Spoiler button, or simply display snippets of the top 3 answers here

Answer1: _________
Answer2: _________
Answer3: _________
Answer (n): _________

I don't think you can select snippets of answers. Very often answers can be quite complex and there would be absolutely no point in creating snippets even if it were technically possible. I think the top two answers maximum. Usually people want an easy life and that means a single answer.

I quite like this idea and have only once seen it implemented in a way that I think works well in a forum. The OP has the option to mark the thread as a question on creation, then the OP can mark as many replies as they want as 'helpful' and mark one reply as 'solution'. The top of the thread then has a drop down box where you can filter the replies: "All posts", "Helpful answers" or "Solution only".

Top Bottom