Benefit of 2 different URL's?

tommydamic68

Hopefully someone can answer this or share their thoughts. Is there any benefit at all in utilizing two different URL's that point to the same location?
Mostly for search purposes is my intention.

It is not a benefit, in fact it is a detriment to your search.
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66359?hl=en

If you have another keyword-rich url or domain that you want to have available in case of typos or type-ins, you can, just make sure you 301 that resource to the final destination.
Thanks for the response. Just to be more specific:

If my site URL was www.bugworld.com
Would it make sense to have www.bugforum.com with a 301 redirect or am I still off beat with this idea.

Last edited:
The only thing you'll really benefit from is from type-ins. Perhaps you may have a few people who would do it, but I wouldn't say buying up domains to catch potential type-ins is worth it.

Google does it (take an o out, and see what happens). But those are common typos. Is going through the work and the cost worth 2-5 hits a day, probably with a high bounce rate?

Buying many domains, parking them, blah blah blah... all old stuff that is useless today. As above... don't waste your time or money.

Hopefully someone can answer this or share their thoughts. Is there any benefit at all in utilizing two different URL's that point to the same location?
Mostly for search purposes is my intention.

The only foreseeable reason for having multiple domains is really for brand protection. I owned a domain that had .com .net & .org. Someone purchased .me & attempted to build off my sites success. Long story short, it lasted only a few months when members caught on that they had one of those terrible fake "facebook-esc" websites.

There wont be much wait in other URL's since the content that is "crawled" will be the main sites domain anyways,

Top Bottom