Implemented Be able to merge Users

Jesepi

I'd like to be able to select 2 usernames and merge all posts/likes/ect into one. I would like to be able to pick which username the merge would leave as the single username.

Sometimes people have multiple logins for one reason or another. Being able to merge them is nice.

Upvote 100
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
While I don't personally ever merge users, I can see that a lot of people do and can see the amount of benefits of using it. So I'll like this.

It shouldn't be that complicated... Just create a user model function mergeUsers($sourceID, $destinationID)... Then we can simply extend the model function, so that when it is run, we can use the $sourceID and $destinationID and update our own mods. Simple.
Ran across this thread when looking to see if someone made an addon that did it.

And I agree that addon developers should just be able to extend a mergeUsers method somewhere to handle their own stuff. Probably the simplest approach in my opinion (if the hold up is still figuring out how addon developers should handle merges).

Over complicating it by trying to setup a system where developers define their data model is well... just over complicating it. :)

That being said, it's a very useful thing to have... something I use several times a day on my existing site. Having it officially supported at some points means I don't have to make a user merger myself... so +1 from me. lol

This is one of the functions that I take for granted in a modern forum software, and can we presume it will be implemented in the next major update? Brogan? Kier?

I have members who forgot their username and password and I forgot them too, yet they create a new account and later on after seeing them post I remember who they are and find their old account. Would be a great idea if there was an option to merge users.

I think we should have this feature because one of my members happened to join again because my "Forget Password?" wasn't working and now he has two accounts.

I think we should have this feature because one of my members happened to join again because my "Forget Password?" wasn't working and now he has two accounts.
If it's just a couple of new posts, you can change the usernames and ids for the posts in a few different tables.

Top Bottom