Backing up .htaccess on upgrade

Jon W

Can I suggest that in the upgrade instructions (http://xenforo.com/help/upgrades/) it recommends backing up your .htaccess files when upgrading?

I know that I have to customise this on most of my installations on my server to get friendly URLs and others customise it for different reasons. Unlike add-on's which should never replace core files, I would say that replacing the .htaccess file is pretty standard practice.

As I'm sure you can tell from this message, just had a bit of a disaster overwriting a client's .htaccess file, and obviously looking for someone else to blame! But, seriously...

The upgrade package doesn't contain .htaccess, so your current file can't be overwritten.
Problem solved then. I was upgrading more than one version in one go. For future reference, do I need to use the full package, or can I still use the upgrade package?

Problem solved then. I was upgrading more than one version in one go. For future reference, do I need to use the full package, or can I still use the upgrade package?
As far as I know... the images, me of the js, the htaccess is excluded in the upgrade package... and it contains all the core files which you'll find in the full package is included ;)

Top Bottom