1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up .htaccess on upgrade

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by Jon W, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Jon W

Jon W Well-Known Member

Can I suggest that in the upgrade instructions (http://xenforo.com/help/upgrades/) it recommends backing up your .htaccess files when upgrading?

I know that I have to customise this on most of my installations on my server to get friendly URLs and others customise it for different reasons. Unlike add-on's which should never replace core files, I would say that replacing the .htaccess file is pretty standard practice.

As I'm sure you can tell from this message, just had a bit of a disaster overwriting a client's .htaccess file, and obviously looking for someone else to blame! But, seriously...
  2. Arkshine

Arkshine Active Member

The upgrade package doesn't contain .htaccess, so your current file can't be overwritten.
    Jon W likes this.
  3. Jon W

Jon W Well-Known Member

Problem solved then. I was upgrading more than one version in one go. For future reference, do I need to use the full package, or can I still use the upgrade package?
  4. Mr. Goodie2Shoes

Mr. Goodie2Shoes Well-Known Member

As far as I know... the images, me of the js, the htaccess is excluded in the upgrade package... and it contains all the core files which you'll find in the full package is included ;)