1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVSForum moves from Huddler to vBulletin... 3.8.7 !

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Stuart Wright, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright Well-Known Member

SneakyDave likes this.
  2. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

Wow. Old dogs can't learn new tricks?
    Adam Howard likes this.
  3. Markos

Markos Well-Known Member

Maybe it's because the totality (or majority) of Verticalscope forums are under vBulletin...maybe the expertise of VerticalScope's team is only on VbSoftware.

VB 3.8 is good but look terribly old...Stuart maybe is better for you that your "competitors" uses "obsolete" software. :D
    Andy.N likes this.
  4. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

AVSForums is doomed. If you read that thread it's filled with people saying they liked the forum software they were using before moving back to vBulletin.

17 pages of

"Why the hell did you do this?
    What happen to X cool feature?
    It was easier before, but now not so much so
    My phone / tablet no longer works here"

Good luck and may the force be with you
  5. Stuart Wright

Is exactly what I was thinking though there is less overlap in our audience than you might think because we predominantly serve the UK and they the USA.

I don't know anything about Huddler but if anyone wants feature-rich forum software, I would expect that something which is years out of date will fall short.
  6. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Adam Howard likes this.
  7. AdamD

AdamD Well-Known Member

Comical at least, wow
    Sad part is, people like that, never change their mind, despite overwhelming negative feedback.
  8. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Well-Known Member

Not surprising if you follow Vertical Scope.
    Coop1979 and SneakyDave like this.
  9. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

Like Internet Brands, Vertical Scope uses their proprietary version of vbulletin 3. I would not even call it vbulletin version 3.8. Its vbulletin VS proprietary version.
    It doesn't even use YUI anymore. Replacing all javascript in vb is a ton of work. I'll bet that they replaced a mass of outdated technology and added in a lot of modern stuff.
    Adam Howard and Markos like this.
  10. Markos

Markos Well-Known Member

There are a big difference from the "default vb"? I don't see a big difference in UI and features...
    Adam Howard likes this.
  11. OSS 117

OSS 117 Well-Known Member

You're confused about what YUI does, Markos. I'm surprised people like the Huddler platform. It clunky, slow and its search engine blows. I caught a post on here the other day about someone wanting to move from Huddler to XF. I thought that was interesting. But never in a million years did I think someone would want to move to vB 3.8. Not that it's a bad version of vB of course.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  12. Markos

Markos Well-Known Member

I know what is YUI...simply i thought that a "proprietary version" is likely something more than a "library replacement"...an example: Gaiaonline use (or have used in the past) a "proprietary version" of PHPBB that's very very different than the "default" version on many areas.

I like the Huddler websites. I see that there are many ideas that you can reuse for your projects...but yes, it's a obsolete platorm for the UI and the features. It was cool on 2010, now it's too "old style".
  13. AdamD

AdamD Well-Known Member

It's akin to going from UBB Threads to VB 2.0
    Not much of an upgrade lol.
    SneakyDave likes this.
  14. OSS 117

OSS 117 Well-Known Member

Huddler isn't that bad. It does bring some unnecessary rule changes to forums though.
  15. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

I was thinking "Wow. Wasn't this on xenForo?" Then I checked both AVSForum, and AVForums. Noticed that they're different beasts. :D

I was confused to say the least!
  16. Stuart Wright

AVSForum = Audio Video Science Forum
    AVForums = Audio Video Forums. Which implies we're less scientific :) But we're not.
  17. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

VS is trying to purchase one of my forums for over a year now and will not take NO for an answer. I wonder if they would have flipped it from XF to vB?
    ForestForTrees and Adam Howard like this.
  18. Coop1979

Coop1979 Well-Known Member

Time to pounce, Stuart. I'm hearing rumblings of AVS senior folks looking to start a new site. AVSForum is about to wilt and die.
  19. thedude

thedude Well-Known Member

Just stop replying to them. That's what we did
    ForestForTrees, Adam Howard and FredC like this.
  20. Stuart Wright

Where d'you hear that?
    ForestForTrees likes this.