Avoid breaking quotes in the reply box

Kintaro

I can see many users that bad quote inserting reply text inside quotes or breaking quote tags.

I would like that in XF2 this kind of things could be avoided.

Now we can quote selecting the text from the original post and add it to the "quote queue", why don't lock the quote text in the reply box so people can't break it?

how about a "tag health check" that warn the user that tags are not well formed (for example there's no closing tag).

I'm the only one that see this problem? I have to better educate my users? maybe! :D

Upvote 9
Any idea you come up with is going to have issues. Preventing editing a quote will be severely disruptive for upwards of half of the users here. Making it take an extra step to edit will annoy some.

Tag health check seems like a decent idea. But then that one user who explains tags to people and only sticks the one tag in there so it shows up in text will constantly be nagged that something might be wrong with his post, adding a second step to posting.

In the end it's kinda up to users to be educated. Almost no one on vwvortex can succesfully post images in their posts. None of them understand that posting a link to an html page with an image is not an image lol. They cant seem to figure out how to share images from any major image hosting site. I consider this way worse than people who can't check they screwed up a post quote and sadly in that case there isn't an automated way to fix their kind of stupid.

I have to better educate my users? maybe!

That is ideal but not practical. Fine if your forum is only for web developers, geeks and IT people, but for some "normal" people, it's enough that they actually use a forum. One of my forums is a residents association and it's hard enough educating them on how to post, reply and attach. I'm grateful for that but expecting them to cope with bbcode if they inadvertantly break may be a step too far for them.

So I agree, very good suggestion.

I think that the solution adopted from invision power board can be good here on xenforo too.
instead of have quoted text as plain text they create and display an html div "table".
in this way is more difficult to mess with quote tags... plus who is replying view the quoted text.

Example:
http://recordit.co/uyWmgqd23v/

I think that the solution adopted from invision power board can be good here on xenforo too.
instead of have quoted text as plain text they create and display an html div "table".
in this way is more difficult to mess with quote tags... plus who is replying view the quoted text.

Example:
http://recordit.co/uyWmgqd23v/

I like this, it would solve the problem when the author of the post changes the quoted text.

Top Bottom