Implemented Autosave post drafts

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I've mentioned this to Mike/Kier during the demo, if they wrote it down is another thing :p

It has my vote, for sure. (gmail style, plx)

This would be nice but i think it's a resource issue.

I can't see how it would be resource intensive because the browser would perform a single low resource ajax save every X minutes and ONLY if there has been a change. How is that a resource issue?

I would love to have this added, I don't know how many times I have crashed my browser, or accidentally closed a tab and lost a near essay length post.

How many times have you had the misfortune of navigating out from a page where you were previously writing a long-ish post and had to start again?

Would it help you if your post was saved at intervals as a draft?

brilliant idea, +1 totally!

I also support this idea...especially when I'm typing a long post and click "Post Reply" only to find that I lost everything because of a connection error or some sort.

+1 from me for this suggestion.

I also support this idea...especially when I'm typing a long post and click "Post Reply" only to find that I lost everything because of a connection error or some sort.

That is something that have happend to me alot, and thats why I always copy all the written text in the box before I hit submit.

You might be able to use the browser's localStorage for this, but it would be much more convenient if I could save a draft in one browser and open my account in another and have my draft available. I'd rather have a separate "draft" table where the draft was stored server-side. Drafts would save the message, forum you were writing it in, the post you were replying to, etc. You could view/delete/pubish your drafts from a page in Your Account. Have an admin-set max number of drafts that each person can have (default to about 10). If you have a new thread draft, it will show up in another color at the top of the thread list in the forum you were writing it in so you can click on it, edit it, submit it. If you have a draft for a reply in a thread, an extra notice is added to the forum view, indicating you have a draft in the thread. It would also show up in another color at the end of the thread. (Only one draft per thread) Of course all drafts would also be available from the Your Account page.

You might be able to use the browser's localStorage for this, but it would be much more convenient if I could save a draft in one browser and open my account in another and have my draft available. I'd rather have a separate "draft" table where the draft was stored server-side. Drafts would save the message, forum you were writing it in, the post you were replying to, etc. You could view/delete/pubish your drafts from a page in Your Account. Have an admin-set max number of drafts that each person can have (default to about 10). If you have a new thread draft, it will show up in another color at the top of the thread list in the forum you were writing it in so you can click on it, edit it, submit it. If you have a draft for a reply in a thread, an extra notice is added to the forum view, indicating you have a draft in the thread. It would also show up in another color at the end of the thread. (Only one draft per thread) Of course all drafts would also be available from the Your Account page.

This is a great idea but it would probably be more efficient just having the localstorage feature for automatic draft saving in case of an error and then maybe a manual save-draft option that utilizes the server for your idea....

Top Bottom