Implemented Autosave post drafts

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
The problem with saving the draft server side is if the server is down or the connection is lost then so will the draft be once you click submit.

It needs to be locally saved.

The problem with saving the draft server side is if the server is down or the connection is lost then so will the draft be once you click submit.

It needs to be locally saved.

Why? The error will be handled and nothing will be submit. So you would still have the post in the editor on your screen.

I don't think the autosave is a good idea, wordpress uses it and there has been talk that it can fast bloat your database.

JS could detect how long/much there is, reaching a thresshold that's above what can be considered average, it can draft. The problem with WP is also that it has a history of the states. Which is not needed in a forum.

I'd prefer server-side storage so it would work across browsers/devices.
It'd have to only be stored for a set period though. I don't want post drafts stored for days on end... 60 minutes maximum. If a user doesn't come back to a post within 60 minutes, they don't want to reply to it.

It'd have to only be stored for a set period though. I don't want post drafts stored for days on end... 60 minutes maximum. If a user doesn't come back to a post within 60 minutes, they don't want to reply to it.

Maybe an extension to that would be to either have a notes base system, as such present in the vBulletin AdminCP, so that user can store some stuff there, but also, give the user the option or reminder to clear the notes every 30 days?

I disagree. :) Sometimes I spend days working on writing something before posting it. If that could be done right on the forums by saving and working on a draft, I think that would be wonderful. So you might have a max quota on how many drafts a user can have, but I see no reason to limit their longevity.

If their "going off the page" is accidental, they'd come back online quickly to post it. After 60 minutes I can't see them wanting to reply (unless their ISP cut them off).

Top Bottom