Implemented Autosave post drafts

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
How many times have you had the misfortune of navigating out from a page where you were previously writing a long-ish post and had to start again?

Would it help you if your post was saved at intervals as a draft?
I support this feature.

Personally, I am envisioning a type of system similar to how Microsoft Word works, autosave every X minutes, and if everything is successful, the temp file is deleted.

• General
    • Store drafts in database
    • Limit number of drafts a user can have on a per-usergroup basis (or disable them)
    • When limit is reached, save the newest draft and delete the oldest saved draft (warn/prompt user in some fashion, as they may have important stuff in drafts)
    • Save drafts automatically every 60 seconds or so via AJAX if the editor contents has changed
    • Have a manual "Save draft" button as well, which would trigger the above auto saving
      • The "Save" button changes to "Saved" and is disabled after the draft has been saved and until the contents of the editor changes
    • Maybe have an expiry date on drafts-- drafts expire and are deleted 6 months after the last modified time? (show a notice to user)
  • Thread reply drafts
    • One draft can be stored per thread
    • Add [Draft] after the thread title if you have a draft there
    • Put the draft in the quick reply when viewing a thread where you have a draft
  • New thread drafts
    • Any drafts that you have in a given forum are shown in red at the top of the thread list along with a delete button
      • Prominent placement + red to encourage you to do something with your drafts
      • Easily accessible delete button to get rid of junk
    • Untitled drafts would have placeholder text for the title ([Untitled] or something)
    • Click the draft title to edit and post it
drafts.webp

Yeah , this is very good suggestion and it could be made with the HTML5 Local Storage.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yeah , this is very good suggestion and i guess , it could be made with the HTML5 Local Storage.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Yeah I suggested making use of LS though there needs to be a cookie-based fallback for incompatible browsers.

Database storage is superior to local storage for purposes of using your account from multiple browsers/computers/devices, etc.

Save/Post Draft to your profile, then post it from profile to the forum/thread. If a product comes out (cms, bloog, ect...), then you can do the same.

Still a nice idea in total thou.

It will be a lot better if the data is saved on the db, like gmail does, say for example the computer restarted itself, you just lost X minutes writing a long post, or you couldn't finish your post at home and desire to finish it at work.. those are just some examples where remote storage will have its uses.

It would also be awesome if you could have a "Publish draft on: *DATE*" so that you can save drafts and have them auto-posted.

Having seen this implemented on WP, I have to disagree with this one. There's really no need for this. I wouldn't say it's 'resource intensive', but it can be annoying to deal with. I actually had to find a plugin to disable this for my WP blogs simply because I got tired of page refreshes interrupting my posts.

Top Bottom