Implemented Autosave post drafts

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Having seen this implemented on WP, I have to disagree with this one. There's really no need for this. I wouldn't say it's 'resource intensive', but it can be annoying to deal with. I actually had to find a plugin to disable this for my WP blogs simply because I got tired of page refreshes interrupting my posts.
If the page refreshes like that, then that is just a really bad implementation. It can all be handled via AJAX without the page having to refresh.

Having seen this implemented on WP, I have to disagree with this one. There's really no need for this. I wouldn't say it's 'resource intensive', but it can be annoying to deal with. I actually had to find a plugin to disable this for my WP blogs simply because I got tired of page refreshes interrupting my posts.

Doesn't WP use AJAX to cover this though? If not, then that is seriously crappy implementation.

Doesn't WP use AJAX to cover this though?
I'm really not 100% sure HOW they do this, but the way they do this, it's annoying when trying to draw up larger posts, because it simply 'refreshes' somehow. I haven't tried again in 3.0, but prior versions had this incredibly annoying feature that you had to have a custom plugin to disable.

I'm really not 100% sure HOW they do this, but the way they do this, it's annoying when trying to draw up larger posts, because it simply 'refreshes' somehow. I haven't tried again in 3.0, but prior versions had this incredibly annoying feature that you had to have a custom plugin to disable.

I haven't noticed it refresh, and I've been writing a blog post for the past 20 mins with loads of pictures in it. I really cannot recall the pre-3.x series.

Wouldn't we be able to code in a way the page refreshed only if choose to post via 'more options'? I think save as draft gmail style is an amazing idea, something my members would love. A lot of them a long post writers.

Dean said: this feature is a long waited in vbulletin suggestion forum. never implemented although the blog system has it.​

Yes, blog has it in vBulletin, but once you post a blog then you cannot change even one letter, nor delete it. V. annoying, but hardly surprising!

I really DON'T care how "Save Post" is implemented - just so long as it IS. As with vBulletin, it's clear that people WANT it, so are we going to get it! Here's hoping...

Ozman

Like like like!!! It has saved me more than a handful of times when writing large blog posts so it'll be useful for xenforo as well.

WP does it in the background, and only alerts you that there was a draft saved if I remember correctly.

It will show a message if you revisit/edit a post that may have a previously saved version conflict.

Dean said: this feature is a long waited in vbulletin suggestion forum. never implemented although the blog system has it.​
I am not clear what is going on. I don't see where I typed that in this thread, and I those words are uncharacteristic of me.

?

I am not clear what is going on. I don't see where I typed that in this thread, and I those words are uncharacteristic of me.

?

My sincere apologies, Dean. I couldn't get "Quote" to work properly at all, so ended up typing it in by hand. By that stage I'd obviously mixed you up with someone else. Sorry about that!

Ozman

Yeah I suggested making use of LS though there needs to be a cookie-based fallback for incompatible browsers.

Hm. I think if somebody doesn't have a browser that doesn't support HTML5 or a browser that partially supports HTML5 (no local storage) then the draft feature should just not work for them, I don't really think developers should keep trying to 'look after' old technology, it creates bloat and doesn't really encourage or 'push' use of web standards.

Recent versions of browsers support localStorage [Internet Explorer (8+), Mozilla's Firefox (3.6+), Opera (10.5) and Chrome (4+)].

Yes, I fully support this. Sometimes my members loose their typed-in-text because they experience a server hickup when they press [Post]. I am known to have the tendency ;)... to write extensive amounts of text and I am always using Notepad next to my browser screen to manually save (copy and paste...) my contents when writing. An auto-save feature would solve all these problems once and for all.

How many times have you had the misfortune of navigating out from a page where you were previously writing a long-ish post and had to start again?

Would it help you if your post was saved at intervals as a draft?
Liked.
These days this could even be done client-side with localstorage

Yes, I fully support this. Sometimes my members loose their typed-in-text because they experience a server hickup when they press [Post]. I am known to have the tendency ;)... to write extensive amounts of text and I am always using Notepad next to my browser screen to manually save (copy and paste...) my contents when writing. An auto-save feature would solve all these problems once and for all.

Aargh :mad:... I have just experience this exact same thing for the 5th time here on XenForo. Using Chrome I -again- pressed somehow a button on my keyboard that transported me to another browser screen, making me loose the contents I had just typed. Notepad I didn't use. Damn. Maybe not essential functionality by all means, but an auto-save feature would have definitely be welcomed in situations like these...

I think this should be implemented soon. Someone as IPS must have seen this, and it's coming in the next major update.

I think this should be implemented soon. Someone as IPS must have seen this, and it's coming in the next major update.
It's not a new idea. I remember seeing that suggestion there before a while back to, as well as over at vB. :) It's definitely something that's been suggested for a variety of forum software.

In my opinion, HTML5 LocalStorage should be used for this purpose. Even if we don't have fallback cookie option, majority will enjoy the feature as LS is implemented in many modern browsers. :-)

Top Bottom