XF 1.4 Automated Bounce Email Handling Problem

rfc0001

Anyone else seeing significant delays delivering emails to gmail due to automated bounced email handling (note: I'm using a gmail email address for the bounced email account if it matters). Google's bulk sender guidelines say to not use a different reply-to email address for each email. After turning off automated bounced email handling, emails started being delivered to Gmail users in minutes instead of several hours or days previously. I'm wondering if the fact I was using gmail as the bounced email address was throwing a monkey wrench in the mix (since they can verify the email didn't actually originate from that account). I just used gmail since it supports the + notation, however I don't think it was even working as I never once saw a bounced email in ACP, whereas as soon as I turned off automated bounced email handling I started getting bounced emails.

Anyone else seeing significant delays delivering emails to gmail due to automated bounced email handling (note: I'm using a gmail email address for the bounced email account if it matters). Google's bulk sender guidelines say to not use a different reply-to email address for each email. After turning off automated bounced email handling, emails started being delivered to Gmail users in minutes instead of several hours or days previously. I'm wondering if the fact I was using gmail as the bounced email address was throwing a monkey wrench in the mix (since they can verify the email didn't actually originate from that account). I just used gmail since it supports the + notation, however I don't think it was even working as I never once saw a bounced email in ACP, whereas as soon as I turned off automated bounced email handling I started getting bounced emails.
Who is your email provider?

I'm using a Gmail account to hold my bounced messages (with Amazon SES as my provider), but I've never experienced any kind of delay like that.

You do not want to use the + notation in the method that gmail does in the first place. That's not VERP, that's something else. That's #1

Second of all, if you have your own VPS, why are you using gmail for your bounce address? Bounces go back to the server you sent them from, not the "reply-to" address - that's for when someone replies to the email. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're referring to. But I don't think I am.

What you do establish your "bounce" email address as the catch-all on the server, then all emails that don't have a designated email address (the ones that return, along with all general spam as well) go to the catch-all or default address, which is then "read" by your XF installation and cataloged in the ACP.

I can't see how you can do this in the first place with a separate gmail address as your bounce but that might be because I haven't tried it.

third, GoDaddy sucks. I would suspect that as a root cause of problems for delivery to anyone in the first place, that is from experience. But that would not explain a delay of days, unless GD has gotten worse with their funnel-all-outgoing-email-through-one-set-of-relay-servers theology.

Top Bottom