Add-on Auto User Tagging in Messages

Neutral Singh

Despite of informing my members about user tagging feature using @, there are way too many instances, where members still ignore this function and simply refer to other members as

Dear Kier, Chris D, Mike, Jake Bunce, Brogan

instead of...

Dear @Kier, @Chris D, @Mike, @Jake Bunce, @Brogan

Is it possible to auto add @ with usernames automatically in the posts, so that the intended users get an instant alert and much faster turnaround time. I cannot expect my mods to edit each and every such post and add @ in front of usernames.

Making it an automated process would save a lot of effort and also make this feature much more useful. If there is some add-on which already does it, please refer me to it.

Thank you.

I don't think something like this exists and my personal opinion is, this shouldn't exist at all :p.

Programmatically - yes, this is possible.

Logically - Quite difficult. it will consume a lot more resources as such system needs to compare every new post individual word against available user list.

Honestly, Don't even think about it if your community got decent number of members. I suggest you to spent some more effort toward educating your community members.

Last edited:
What about all those times you want to talk about people, but you don't want to alert them or let them know you're talking about them? :cautious:

Top Bottom