August Update discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, here's an idea. Why not hire a person who deals with all this legal crap by himself and let Kier/Mike/Ashley focus on development?

What about legal counsels? Couldn't they act on behalf of the guys? Or is there not enough money?

Taking VC has nothing to do with "desperate". It`s merely about securing "growth".
You're talking normal circumstances but remember this is different when you have a case with uncertain outcome. Also they never needed VC to start it up so if they required it at this point in time that would be to get them out of trouble. I'd say to give up a large share and/or future profit when you did not need to before, that means you probably are becoming desperate, else you would try to get the money in other ways so you can preserve total control of the company.

Also, they already experienced what can happen when you lose control in a company (vB) I don't think they would want to risk that again.

You're talking normal circumstances but remember this is different when you have a case with uncertain outcome. Also they never needed VC to start it up so if they required it at this point in time that would be to get them out of trouble. I'd say to give up a large share and/or future profit when you did not need to before, that means you probably are becoming desperate, else you would try to get the money in other ways so you can preserve total control of the company.

Also, they already experienced what can happen when you lose control in a company (vB) I don't think they would want to risk that again.

Most of us would rather have 10% of 5 million than 50 or 100% of nothing or negative numbers.
;)

It's a matter of not bringing a knife to a gunfight, so to speak.

But that is their decision and it appears they have made it.

That was a whole lot of nothing. XF had better post something meaningful quickly or they won't have to worry about legal consequences as there will be not enough users to suport continued development. personal issues? We've been told that for quite some time now. How about some real information?

Most of us would rather have 10% of 5 million than 50 or 100% of nothing or negative numbers.
;)

It's a matter of not bringing a knife to a gunfight, so to speak.

But that is their decision and it appears they have made it.

Don't forget that if someone were to invest the would get a say in the product. They wouldn't just be giving up part of their earnings but also part of their input into what the product should be.

sad announcement indeed... but still hopeful, somehow.... I do appreciate the honesty from the team...

The announcement was a personal plea so it should be taken as such. Of course many people here don't care about the personal, only the professional. Regarding the professional side of things not much has changed. XenForo's future continues to rest on the outcome of the lawsuit. Most people here were fully aware of the lawsuit when purchasing XenForo. Those same people made the decision to purchase despite the lawsuit because they expected XenForo to win. I think those people still expect XenForo to win. I know I do. None of this has changed. What has changed is that the effects of the lawsuit are starting to impact personal lives and hence development of the product. This shouldn't come as a surprise.

The fight continues. The trial date is currently set for January 15, 2013.

It's not true that we don't care about one's personal problems. In fact, I thought we grieved when Kier talked about his personal problems in that "Hello Again" thread, wishing him the best in the future.

However, most people don't realize that the personal problems is entwined with the professional problems such as this lawsuit. And vice versa. In fact, I think most of the professional problems were the result of the personal problems. It happens. Try managing a company like xenForo, and your family life, especially when your family is dumbfounded with where the money is going.

[Just to reiterate: I'm not calling Kier's family dumb or anything like that, nor am I calling the executive staff dumb, either.]

Question / Suggestion:
What about finding an investor with big $$$ bucks taking over a certain % of XF Ltd. in order for the company to stay afloat and (effectively) fight the lawsuit ?

There is no such investor
Who would stand behind Kier and Mike with a shotgun to force them to code?

What about finding an investor with big $$$ bucks taking over a certain % of XF Ltd. in order for the company to stay afloat and (effectively) fight the lawsuit ?
Finding an investor in your area is much harder than you would think. U.K. is supposedly a hot market right now for entrepreneurs these days. There's a lot of startup buzz over there now. I'm thinking had this lawsuit not been filed at the time that it did. A lot of investors would be lining up. Lots of buzz around xenForo right now.

In fact, at ForumCon, I have a feeling there are more people looking forward to xenForo than indicated. You had to be there to hear Internet Brands' embarrassing panels. Every time there was an iB panel, everyone's quiet, especially during question/answer sessions.
There is no such investor
Who would stand behind Kier and Mike with a shotgun to force them to code?
If I was an investor right now, I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom