August Update discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
that is a highly sweeping statement which for myself (and I would suggest a number of others) is wholly inaccurate.
Jake probably knows the answer. It says so in his custom title.

It is accurate. I first heard of xenForo on vBulletin's own licensed forums. They claimed against xenForo, and I said "#@^& you!" because it's disgusting for a conglomerate to be filing a lawsuit against a new start-up. I learned that Kier was behind the software, and I rushed over here, registered, then waited for the software to be released. I bought it in a heartbeat once it was out.

No, it is accurate for you. Most is a generalisation not substantiated with any factual information, which (frankly) is becoming the accepted norm around here.

No, it is accurate for you. Most is a generalisation not substantiated with any factual information, which (frankly) is becoming the accepted norm around here.
You realize that most members here were originally from vBulletin?

Members? Customers? How do you know how many XF customers are former vB users? How do you know how many customers have never heard of the lawsuit before they did the purchase?
I'm calling them Members because they post here. I think most of them are customers migrating from vBulletin. I've been here since August 2010, and have followed most threads that's posted here. I often see vB > xF migration threads, so therefore, I know most of them are former vB customers.

that is a highly sweeping statement which for myself (and I would suggest a number of others) is wholly inaccurate.

Then I hereby make an exception for you and others.

But I do recommend reading the announcement forum more often. The lawsuit was explicitly addressed in the announcement forum as early as November 2010, one month after the 1.0 beta release:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/a-statement-regarding-the-current-litigation.7567/

And implicitly the day before the beta release, where "unforeseen circumstances" is in reference to the initial announcement of the lawsuit and subsequent discussion on the forum. Note that this was the day before XenForo starting selling licenses, so everyone should have been aware:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/unforseen-circumstances-but.4743/

But of course news doesn't get to everyone so there are exceptions. And I suppose people who were part of the alpha test would have had the opportunity to convert their live forums prior to the lawsuit announcement and the start of license sales.

Jake, you are assuming that every purchaser first visits the "Community" link and specifically looks for information on lawsuits before making the purchase on the main page.

No explicit search. Just reading the announcements. But there are exceptions. Not everyone reads the announcements. No biggie.

Thank you for the exception. Your recommendations fall on deaf ears in my case however as I purchased in October 2010 and "unforeseen circumstances" at that time meant nothing more to me than they had likely had a technical issue launching the ordering system.

It does however allude to what I've just stated, they should have said lawsuit (if indeed it was a reference) but simply chose to be as vague as possible. Two years on that seems to have become a recurring theme to me.

Thank you for the exception. Your recommendations fall on deaf ears in my case however as I purchase in October 2010 and "unforeseen circumstances" at that time meant nothing more to me than they had likely had a technical issue launching the ordering system.

It does however allude to what I've just stated, they should have said lawsuit (if indeed it was a reference) but simply chose to be as vague as possible. Two years on that seems to have become a recurring theme to me.

Sorry you weren't aware of the lawsuit during your initial purchase. I assume that would have changed your buying decision? Is there anything we can do to make right?

Again: not everyone visits the "community" before purchasing XenForo. How can you even assume this? Correct me if I am wrong, but word of a lawsuit doesn't appear anywhere on the main page.

Would you like us to put it on the main page?

Thanks for the honest status update from Ashley. From what I read he is excluded from the personal lawsuit by now. I do understand when addressed in a lawsuit on some time you are in a "bad mood". No wonders! I guess at this stage you don't want to see anymore lawsuit papers and try to ignore them. Contrary, I see both devs here regularly logging in that shows me that they actually love both this product and community (members).

Its good to take some time off and when you are back you go and do the 100 hour / week workload again, please!

All admins have some time where they just need a rest from their community I guess. On some time I just don't even want to login to my own community. I get a "here is a problem" mail and its like "oh noooo. Please make it go away" Then after a break I come back and work 24 hours a day for it. And that's what I expect here from the devs. Nothing less! xf as a product is great. And knowing the product its much more fun to code for it than watching tv or even wasting time doing endless clubbing.

Sorry you weren't aware of the lawsuit during your initial purchase. I assume that would have changed your buying decision? Is there anything we can do to make right?
Thank you. All I'd personally like is some honest answers to the questions myself and others have posted please Jake or in the event they cannot be answered then someone to say just that together with the reason they cannot be answered (be that lawsuit / nobody knows / etc).

XenForo is a brilliant product but people need to know where they stand. Personally I've no intention to renew if everything remains vague. I'd like to stand on but without the information to make a balanced decision I find myself forced in a direction I actually don't want to go in, which is a damn shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom